The fifth generation 3TB AirPort Time Capsule from Apple features simultaneous dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi support. That means it transmits at both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies at the same time. So no matter which band your wireless devices use, they'll automatically connect to the best available band for the fastest possible performance.
With the AirPort Time Capsule, you get a superfast Wi‑Fi base station and an easy-to-use backup device all in one. It works with Time Machine in Mac OS X to back up your Mac automatically and wirelessly. Music, photos, videos, documents and even your apps and OS X settings are saved. The AirPort Time Capsule stores it all with its 3TB of storage space.
With three-stream 802.11ac technology, the Airport Time Capsule can reach data rates of up to 1.3Gbps, which is triple the 802.11n standard. 802.11ac Wi-Fi also provides double the channel bandwidth with 80MHz-wide channels providing more room for data to flow faster. If you're using an 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi device, Airport Time Capsule can still optimize the connection for those Wi-Fi standards as well.
Apple has redesigned the Airport Time Capsule to be taller with antennas located at the top of the device. Apple also increased the number of antennas to six, three for 2.4GHz and three for 5GHz. The vertical redesign of the AirPort Time Capsule also contributes to a smaller footprint and more desk space.
With AirPort Time Capsule, getting your new Wi‑Fi network up and running is quick and easy. That's because a setup assistant is built into iOS and into AirPort Utility for OS X. As soon as you plug in your AirPort Time Capsule and connect it to your DSL or cable modem, you can follow the simple instructions on your Mac or iOS device. There are no complicated steps to follow and no obscure terminology to learn. The setup assistant does all the work, so you don't have to.
Automatic Wireless Backup
- Time Machine
- The AirPort Time Capsule is designed to partner seamlessly with Time Machine in Mac OS X Leopard or later to protect your data. They work together so that after the initial backup, only the files you've changed are backed up automatically, wirelessly and in the background. Since Time Machine continuously makes a copy of everything on your Mac, as well as saves multiple versions, you can easily access and restore previous versions of a single file, a folder, or even your entire Mac. And with the six antennas and ultrafast 802.11ac Wi-Fi, backing up to AirPort Time Capsule is up to 50 percent faster than its predecessor
- A Backup Plan for All Your Macs
- Have multiple Mac computers in your home or office? The AirPort Time Capsule can back up and store files for each Mac on your wireless network. You no longer have to attach an external drive to each Mac every time you want to back up. The AirPort Time Capsule spares you the work. Your computers are always backed up automatically and wirelessly
- Storage Space
- The AirPort Time Capsule is your one place for backing up everything. Its massive 3TB hard drive gives you all the capacity and safety you need. So whether you have 250 songs or 250,000 songs to back up, storage is the last thing you have to worry about
Up to Three Times Faster Wi-Fi
- 802.11ac - The Definition of Fast
- With three-stream 802.11ac technology, the AirPort Time Capsule takes Wi‑Fi speeds up to 1.3 Gbps, which is triple the previous 802.11n standard. This means up to three times faster Wi‑Fi. You also get double the channel bandwidth, with 80MHz‑wide channels providing more room for more data to flow faster than ever. And if you have 802.11a/b/g/n devices, AirPort Time Capsule maximizes those connections as well
- Simultaneous Dual-Band Support
- AirPort Time Capsule features simultaneous dual-band 802.11ac Wi‑Fi. That means it transmits at both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies at the same time. So no matter which band your wireless devices use, they'll automatically connect to the best available band for the fastest possible performance
- Beamforming Puts the Focus on Your Device
- With 802.11ac technology comes the intelligent, powerful beamforming antenna array. Most antennas emit an equal and constant Wi-Fi signal in all directions. But the beamforming antenna array knows where an 802.11ac device is on the network. Then AirPort Time Capsule targets its signal to that device. So your Wi‑Fi signal is stronger, clearer and faster
Designed with Performance in Mind
- A Top-Down Approach to Design
- For the redesign of AirPort Time Capsule, Apple took an approach that centered around performance. Apple made it taller and put the antennas at the top, creating a higher platform for dispersing the signal. Apple also increased the number of antennas. There are now six of them - three for the 2.4GHz band and three for the 5GHz band. Together with 802.11ac wireless technology, they let you connect faster, farther and with more power than its predecessor
- Smaller Footprint with More Desk Space
- The vertical design not only improves Wi‑Fi performance, it also saves you valuable desk space. At less than 4 inches square, the footprint of AirPort Time Capsule is 64 percent smaller than its predecessor. And to save even more space, the power supply is built in
- Manage Your Wi-Fi Network from an iOS Device or Mac
- Once your network is set up, AirPort Utility for iOS and OS X lets you manage and monitor it from your iPad, iPhone, iPod touch or Mac. Your AirPort Time Capsule appears graphically onscreen, so you can see all your settings to make changes, apply updates and more
Printer and Hard Drive Sharing
- Simple and Secure File Sharing
- AirPort Time Capsule can turn your external USB hard drive into a secure drive you can share across your Wi-Fi network and access securely over the Internet. All the documents, videos, photos, and other files instantly become available to anyone on the network, Mac and PC users alike. It's perfect for file sharing, collaborative projects and more
- Print Without Wires
- The USB 2.0 port in AirPort Time Capsule is also great for sharing a printer across your wireless network. Just plug it in and everyone on your network can take advantage of one centrally available printer wirelessly
Compatibility and Security
- Get Online Safely and Securely
- AirPort Time Capsule includes a built-in firewall that creates a barrier between your network and the Internet, protecting your data from malicious attacks. When you set up AirPort Time Capsule, the firewall is automatically turned on
- Guests for Your Wi-Fi Network
- With the guest networking feature, you can set up a separate Wi‑Fi network just for guests. Use a different password or no password at all. A guest network allows access only to the Internet, so your primary network - including any external hard drive, printer, or other LAN-attached device - remains secure
- Connect to Wi-Fi From Any Device
- Whether you have a Mac, PC, iPhone, iPad or Apple TV, you'll be able to connect to the AirPort Time Capsule. Any Wi‑Fi‑enabled device you have will work with AirPort Time Capsule. That's because it's compatible with devices using the 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n and 802.11ac specifications
- Go Wired
- If you're looking for reliable Internet access, you can also go for a wired connection. The AirPort Time Capsule includes three Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports for fast wired connectivity with a desktop computer, network drive, DVR or other wired devices