The Nikon D40x SLR Digital Camera features astounding resolution and broad ISO sensitivity, while still maintaining a compact and lightweight design. The 10.2-effective megapixel DX format CCD imaging sensor is complimented by Nikon's exclusive 3D Color Matrix Metering II and an improved Nikon Image Processing Engine that together ensure breathtaking picture quality with precision exposure, wider ISO sensitivity of 100-1600, and natural, accurately rendered colors. The camera can power-up in a near-instantaneous 0.18 seconds, is able to capture images instantly, with virtually none of the shutter delay typically associated with point-and-shoot digital cameras, and can shoot up to 3 pictures per second, non-stop for up to 100 shots. The D40x also features superb power efficiency, allowing up to 520 images per charge.
The D40x's automated, scene-optimized Digital Vari-Program modes allow users to capture nearly any type of scene without needing to understand the fine points of photography or fumble with camera settings. The D40x includes eight preset modes, including a Flash Off mode. As users gain experience with the camera, the camera offers advanced controls such as Aperture-priority and Shutter-priority modes that offer greater creative control over the look and feel of their pictures.
The large and bright 2.5-inch color LCD screen on the back of the D40x displays everything from menu options, pictures in playback mode, the visually-intuitive information display system that presents camera and shooting information in a user-friendly, graphical way, and a built-in help menu with Assist Images that can help you select appropriate settings for many camera features by displaying a sample image illustrating the effect and potential use of the setting in question.
When you're done shooting, the Retouch menu offers exclusive in-camera image editing features that provide greater creativity without the need for a computer. Included in the Retouch menu is Nikon's D-Lighting, which brightens dark pictures and an automated Red-eye correction feature. Other creative features include Image Overlay, Small Picture, Monochrome (Black-and-white, Sepia, and Cyanotype) and Filter Effects (Skylight, Warm filter, Color balance). After you have taken your picture and made all of the desired adjustments, printing that picture could never be easier, since the camera is PictBridge compatible, just connect the camera to a PictBridge compliant printer and print your favorite images - without the need for a computer.
- 10.2 Megapixel Resolution for Extraordinary Image Quality
- The high-resolution image quality of the Nikon D40x is made possible by Nikon's high-performance 10.2 megapixel Nikon DX format CCD imaging sensor and exclusive Nikon image processing engine which assures stunning sharpness and color. 10.2 megapixels of resolution is great for making beautifully detailed enlargements of 20 x 30 inches and beyond, and also provides room for creative cropping.
- Compact and Lightweight Camera Body
- At just over 16 ounces, the beautifully styled and compact D40x makes high-performance digital SLR photography easier and more convenient than ever. The camera body fits your hand perfectly, with a well-balanced design and grip to ensure easy access to the camera controls.
- Superb Performance
- Fast startup combined with super-fast shutter response and rapid-action shooting at up to 3 frames per second makes it easy to freeze special moments instantly, and capture high-quality action sequences of children at play, sporting activities such as soccer, or baseball, and much more.
- Compatible with Nikkor Lenses
- All Nikon AF-S/AF-I Nikkor lenses work seamlessly with the D40x, and all Nikon lenses feature the finest optics and precision mechanisms to provide optimized performance for sharp, consistent results (Autofocus is supported only with AF-S and AF-I CPU lenses, which are equipped with an autofocus motor).
- Fast and Accurate 3-Area Autofocus
- The advanced 3-area AF system uses Nikon's exclusive three-area Multi-CAM 530 AF Sensor Module and refined algorithms inherited from more advanced Nikon digital SLR cameras to deliver fast, efficient and precise autofocus. These AF refinements deliver greater precision with fast, more consistent subject acquisition and improved focus tracking for consistently sharper pictures.
- 3D Color Matrix Metering II
- Nikon's exclusive 3D Color Matrix Metering II instantly evaluates the brightness, contrast and colors of any shooting scenario and compares it to a built-in datablase of over 30,000 scenarios to calculate precise exposures, thereby obtaining optimum results. In addition, Center-weighted and Spot metering are also available to meet specialized applications.
- Broad ISO Sensitivity Range
- The ISO sensitivity of the Nikon D40x can be set from 100 all the way to 1600, enabling beautiful images in many challenging low-light situations without using a flash. There is also a HI-1 setting that provides up to 1EV stop above ISO 1600, and a Flash-Off Mode that shuts off the camera's flash and boosts its ISO so users can easily take pictures in places where flash photography is not allowed, inappropriate or when they prefer the look of naturally lit pictures.
- Easy-to-use Digital Vari-Program Modes
- Get better shots in almost any situation with the Eight Easy-to-use Digital Vari-Program modes. Each of the eight modes is designed to calculate the best settings for your scene automatically. Simply choose one of the modes (Auto, Auto Flash-OFF, Portrait, Landscape, Child, Sports, Close Up or Night Portrait), and the camera will adjust itself automatically for optimal results
- Built-in Speedlight with i-TTL Automatic Flash Control
- The auto pop-up Flash gives just the right light to make the scene look both beautiful and natural. Nikon's innovative i-TTL flash control evaluates flash exposure with incredible precision to achieve better automatic flash balance and deliver outstanding results. The built-in Speedlight brings beautiful exposures in darkened conditions as well as adding sparkle for fill flash in outdoor situations, enhanced twilight shots or an added impact to daylight images. To extend your flash shooting range and creativity, just add an optional Nikon Speedlight such as the Nikon SB-400.
- Optional Infrared Remote
- Use the optional Wireless Remote Control ML-L3 as a remote shutter release for self portraits or to prevent camera shake caused when releasing the shutter.
- Bright and Accurate SLR Viewfinder
- The large and clear viewfinder of the Nikon D40x provides 0.8x magnification, and helps to ensure precise composition, while the overall viewfinder brightness makes focusing in low-light conditions easier
- 2.5" Color LCD Monitor
- Playback images are easy to see, and function menus are easier to use with a large and bright color LCD monitor. The 2.5-inch LCD monitor enables image preview at up to 19 times magnification and has large type fonts and easy-to-view menus as well as three display options: Classic, Graphic and Wallpaper. Furthermore, the large LCD color monitor is perfect for viewing image details or just showing recently captured pictures to friends and family.
- Advanced Help Menu System
- The built-in Help Menu system of the D40x provides advice and directions for every camera setting at the press of a button. Simply press the "?" button on the back of the camera, and you'll see detailed information about particular functions displayed on the LCD panel, so you're always prepared. Furthermore, useful "assist images" help you select the ideal setting for your picture.
- In-Camera Image Editing
- Highly versatile in-camera Retouch menu includes Nikon D-Lighting, Red-Eye Correction, Image Trimming, Image Overlay, Monochrome (Black and White, Sepia and Cyanotype) along with Skylight, Warm Tone and Color Balance filter effects. These features provide greater creative freedom without the need for a computer, for those who prefer to send pictures directly to a printer.
- Long-lasting Battery
- The EN-EL9 Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery lets you take up to 520 shots in single-frame shooting mode (CIPA standards), while the optional EH-5 AC Adapter can be used to power the camera for even longer periods (an AC Adapter Connector EP-5 is required, available separately).
- Includes PictureProject Software
- Supplied with the D40x and designed as a simple, intuitive and seamless experience, PictureProject is for digital photographers of any skill level. Its powerful tools let you truly explore digital imaging without having to study for it. It greatly simplifies image transfer and sharing, while giving you basic post-production enhancements on a personal computer. Data in your memory card can easily be uploaded to your computer, and images can be quickly printed, e-mailed or uploaded to an online photo community.
- Process your images like a Pro with Capture NX Software (optional)
- Nikon's revolutionary Capture NX software gives you an unprecedented degree of control over your images. Thanks to exclusive U Point Technology, by Nik Software, Capture NX does all the calculations for you, making it the first truly usable editing imaging software for all levels of photographers.
- Photo Printing Made Simple with Direct Printing
- The Nikon D40x supports PictBridge direct Printing. Simply connect the camera to a Pictbridge compatible printer using the included USB cable, and print pictures directly from your camera - without the need for a PC.