Nikon's AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED features an innovative Vibration Reduction (VR) system that allows handheld telephoto zoom shooting even in poorly lit conditions. The VR system minimizes image blur caused by camera shake, and offers the equivalent of shooting at a shutter speed 3 stops (8 times) faster. The lens offers a natural viewfinder image even during VR operation and also detects automatically when the photographer pans. It is ideal for candid, portrait, sports photography and more.
It is fully compatible with all Nikon SLR models that include a built-in aperture control Command Dial. It will also operate using Shutter Priority and Program Mode operation in many Nikon models that do not have a built-in aperture control.
Included camera models:
* Sold exclusively in the USA
*1 P includes AUTO (General-Purpose Program) and Vari-Program System
*2 Manual (M) is not available
*3 This lens is not compatible with the F3AF
Note: There may be some restrictions or limitation for available functions. Refer to your camera's instruction manual for details.
Vibration Reduction (VR) minimizes image blur caused by camera shake (cancelable). Two available VR modes :
Two vibration reduction modes are available: (1) the NORMAL mode for reducing camera shake, and (2) the ACTIVE mode for reducing camera shake when taking pictures from a moving vehicle.
The following cameras are useable:
35mm SLR Cameras:
- F6, F5, F100, F80-Series/N80-Series, F75-Series/N75-Series, F65-Series/N65-Series Digital SLR Cameras:
- D1, D2, D3 series
When using the lens with cameras other than those listed above, set the vibration reduction mode switch to OFF to cancel the vibration reduction mode.
With the Pronea 600i/6i camera, in particular, battery power may become depleted quickly if this switch is left ON.
- With this lens, you can take pictures at shutter speeds approx. 3 stops slower than you ordinarily could without using a VR lens, expanding the range of usable shutter speed options and making telephoto shooting much easier without a tripod.
- New G-design incorporates distance information for flash and ambient light exposure processes.
- New G-design enables apertures to be selected from select Nikon AF SLR camera bodies.
- Optical design incorporates five ED glass elements for superior optical performance throughout the entire zoom range.
- Built-in A/M switch enables instant switching from autofocus to manual focus (Lock mechanism provided).
- Resistance to water drops equivalent to those of telephoto AF-S lenses.
- New cosmetic design identical to current AF-S Nikkor lenses
- Detachable tripod mounting collar provided
- Filter attachment does not rotate during focusing or zooming
- 9 Aperture blades