The Drobo S 5-Bay Array Enclosure from Data Robotics is an innovative external storage solution. The Drobo S features all of the convenience and data protection capabilities of a traditional RAID system, without the hassles and inflexibility that are associated with RAID storage. There is no need to install a full set of matched-capacity drives for functionality. You can start with a single drive and add storage as your needs increase. You'll even be able to remove a drive and replace it with one of equal or greater capacity, without having to first migrate data to another storage device.
When multiple drives are installed, the Drobo S supports data protection. If a drive fails, none of your data will be lost -- simply replace the failed drive and the Drobo will rebuild itself. When you have three or more drives installed, you can configure the Drobo S to protect against the failure of two drives, practically eliminating the possibility of data loss due to hard disk failure. The Drobo allows you to switch between single-drive and dual-drive redundancy without having to reformat your array.
The enclosure supports up to five standard 3.5" SATA hard drives. Your computer sees the Drobo as a single hard drive volume for the ultimate in ease of use. Indicator lights alert you to system status as well as available capacity. The Drobo S is compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux systems. It can connect via eSATA, FireWire-800, or USB 2.0.
- Your Personal Speed Demon: eSATA, FireWire-800, and USB 2.0
- Have a need for speed? With the new eSATA interface on Drobo S data transfer is up to 50% faster than FireWire 800. FireWire performance is even up to 25% faster than on previous systems and with enhanced USB 2.0, you'll have the flexibility to connect to almost any system
- Up to 5 Drives of Instant Expansion to 10TB and Beyond
- Grow your storage to meet with your data capacity needs with minimal effort. To add capacity, simply insert a new hard drive or replace your smallest drive with a larger one, even when all five drive bays are full. Unlike traditional RAID systems, the BeyondRAID technology found in Drobo S enables you to mix and match capacities, drive brands, and speeds. This allows for continuous expansion as drive capacities grow and larger drives become available. With Drobo S, expansion is automatic, instantaneous and access to data is always maintained
- Protection from Two Drive Failures
- Enable the dual-drive redundancy option to protect your data from failure of up to two hard drives. It's all done with a single click, and without ever losing access to your data. Running out of space? Switch back to single-drive redundancy. Unlike moving between traditional RAID 5 and RAID 6, there's no need to reformat or migrate data off of Drobo, potentially saving you hours or days
- Self-Healing Technology
- With the self-healing technology now incorporated into Drobo S, your data is safer than ever. Even when sitting idle, the Drobo will continually examine the blocks and sectors on every disk, flagging questionable areas. This preemptive "scrubbing" helps ensure your data is being written only to the healthy areas of your drives, and that your data is always safe. And if a drive fails, Drobo S will strive to keep your data in the safest state possible, utilizing the available space on the remaining healthy drives
- Windows, Mac, or Linux
- Drobo S connects to Windows, Mac and Linux systems and supports NTFS, HFS Plus, EXT3, and FAT32 file formats. Regardless of operating system, everyone can take advantage of simple, powerful, complete Drobo data protection