Looking for the digital equivalent of an old-school rangefinder camera? Try the Fujifilm FinePix X100 Digital Camera. It has a fixed focal length 35mm (equivalent in 35mm format) lens with a very bright f/2.0 aperture (a classic lens choice for rangefinders) and a 9-blade diaphragm for beautiful blur in out-of-focus areas (bokeh)--plus a very large (approximately 4-5 times the size of a typical compact camera sensor) APS-C CMOS sensor with 12.3MP of resolution.
The durable magnesium alloy body is clearly based on time-honored rangefinder designs, with the welcome addition of a small grip for better stability in holding the camera. A switchable hybrid optical/electronic viewfinder and a high resolution 2.8" LCD monitor with 460K-dot resolution make capturing images with the X100 a real joy.
Unlike most old-school rangefinders, though, the X100 will also give you 720p HD video with stereo sound. Other non-traditional features are sensitivity from 100 to 12800 ISO, RAW capture and processing (in-camera) for the highest quality images possible, and high-speed contrast autofocus.
You can use the Film Simulation mode to give your photos the distinctive look of Velvia, Provia or Astia film, or Monochrome (with separate adjustment of shadow and highlight tones for superb control over the tonality). Macro mode will focus as close as 4" from the lens, and a built-in 3-f/stop neutral density (ND) filter can be activated with a simple on/off switch.
The X100 is all traditional rangefinder design on the outside, all 21st-century technology on the inside.
- Large 12.3MP APS-C Size CMOS Sensor
- FUJINON 23mm (35mm equivalent) Single Focal Length Fixed F2 Lens
- Switchable Optical/Electronic Viewfinder
- 2.8" LCD Monitor W/460K-Dot Resolution
- JPEG + RAW (Process In-Camera)
- 100-12800 ISO Capabilities
- HD 720p Video W/Stereo Sound
- Classic Design Magnesium Alloy Body
- High Speed Contrast Autofocus
- Built-In Flash--Compatible W/Optional EF-20 & EF-42 Shoe-Mount Flashes