The 4 x 4" PROSTOP Neutral Density 3.0 Filter for the Lee Filter Holder from Hitech is used when you need something to reduce your exposure by 10 stops. This unique and powerful filter will now permit you to easily "blur" images such as moving water, cars, sports and other subjects. The effect of this filter permits you to use much slower shutter speeds as well as wider lens apertures to help isolate your foreground.
You can even combine this filter with other filters such as graduated neutral density filters to achieve additional special effects. The 4 x 4" format gives you the freedom to use the PROSTOP 3.0 with many different lenses. The PROSTOP Neutral Density Filter is made to exacting standards. It's 1.5 mm thick and fits the Lee Filter System. It is best used for outdoor, nature and location photography. The PROSTOP is designed with a special rubber gasket surrounding the filter edges to help prevent any ambient light from intruding into the image.
The Hitech filter system is made by Formatt - an English company that is renowned for its high manufacturing standards and consistency of quality. Their CR39 resin is manufactured in large sheets that are oven cured. Their exclusive Absorbing Cell Technology absorbs color as opposed to other filters that are coated. Once cured, they are sliced up to create individual filters. In this way, maximum consistency is maintained from filter to filter. This becomes crucial when you wish to change filters either mid shoot or from day to day.
- Special edge gasket designed to prevent any light leakage that would contaminate the image
- Allows you to use a much slower shutter speed or wider lens aperture
- This filter will permit you to "blur" moving objects such as water, rivers, cars, etc
- Increased exposure times open up a whole new vista of photographic potential
Absorbing Cell Technology
- The secret to Formatt's consistency in filter design lies in its unique "Absorbing Cell Technology" (A.C.T.); this unique process allows color correct dyes to be applied to optically pure, wafer thin absorbing cells and offers a controllability that ensures the smoothest grad lines and consistent color across the whole filter surface
- Hitech filters are made by Formatt, a company with three generations of professional filter-making experience produces every filter to the highest technical standards. The finest materials, together with state of-the-art production technology have resulted in a standard of optical excellence unmatched anywhere else
Neutral Density Filters Have Four Main Uses
- To enable slow shutter speeds to be used, especially with high speed ISOs, to record movement in subjects such as waterfalls, clouds, or cars
- To decrease depth of field by allowing wider apertures to be used, which helps separate subjects from their background
- To decrease the effective ISO of high speed film (above ISO 400) and allow it to be used outdoors in bright situations
- To allow cine and video cameras (which have fixed shutter speeds) to film subjects such as snow, sand or other bright scenes which could cause overexposure