The 2TB My Book Studio External USB 3.0 Desktop Hard Drive from WD works out of the box with your Mac OS X 10.6.5 (or later) machine. With data transfer speeds up to 5Gbps, you can move large high definition media files when connected via the SuperSpeed USB 3.0 port. My Book also provides USB 2.0 backward compatibility so your legacy devices won't be left behind.
Built with an anodized aluminum enclosure, the drive is designed to run cool and quiet without a fan. WD SmartWare software comes included with the drive as well, allowing you to install as much or as little of the software as you would like. These can include backup options, diagnostics, and utilities. The drive also does its part to conserve energy with its WD GreenPower Technology, which lowers the internal drive's power consumption. And for peace-of-mind, My Book features password protection and hardware-based encryption, along with a 3-year warranty.
- Formatted for Mac & Windows Compatible
- Having been pre-formatted HFS+ Journaled, this hard drive works out of the box with your Mac OS X 10.6.5 system (or later). It is Apple Time Machine Compatible, and can also be reformatted to work with Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8 quickly and easily.
- Heat-Dissipating Fanless Aluminum Design
- The anodized aluminum drive is designed to run cool without using a fan. Lower operating temperatures extend the life of the drive and improve data reliability, while the fan-less design reduces noise.
- USB 3.0 & 2.0 Compatible Interface
- Save and access data at SuperSpeed USB 3.0 speeds or change gears and utilize the backward-compatible USB 2.0 interface.
- Data Transfer Up to 5Gb/s
- Using SuperSpeed USB 3.0 technology allows you to transfer data up to 10x faster than USB 2.0 technology - at a maximum of 5Gbps. You also won't have to worry about your older devices being incompatible, because this drive is backward compatible with USB 2.0 and supports up to 480Mbps data transfer rates.
- Pre-Installed WD SmartWare Software
- Use this free backup software and to manage your drive and control how it operates. Register your drive, set a drive timer, run diagnostics and more using WD Drive Utilities. You'll have the option to install all, some or none of the given software features - it is up to you.
- Password Protection & Encryption
- Your data is protected from unauthorized access or theft with password protection and hardware-based encryption (requires WD SmartWare software).
- WD GreenPower Technology
- My Book external drives are designed to save energy. WD GreenPower Technology lowers internal drive power consumption by up to 30%, a sleep mode reduces power during idle times, and a power-saving feature turns the drive on and off with your computer - so it's ready to go when you need it, and not drawing as much power when you don't.