The Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III SLR Digital Camera (Body Only) incorporates a 21.1-megapixel full-frame CMOS image sensor that delivers astounding image quality, with 14-bit per-channel color, and utilizes the latest Dual "DIGIC III" Image Processors that work in tandem to speed up data handling and camera operation, while further refining imaging performance. The camera is constructed with a tough, high-durability body made from quality magnesium alloy, and a shutter that has been designed and tested to withstand over 300,000 exposures.
The Large three-inch LCD screen of the EOS-1Ds mark III provides broad color gamut and a wide viewing angle , and the Live View function uses the LCD display to provide an expanded and exceedingly convenient set of shooting options. By permitting the framing and capturing of subjects using the camera's LCD screen instead of the viewfinder, the shooter gains a 100 percent field view to more easily achieve the desired composition, and an added Custom Function allows auto-focus during Live View, and provides the user with the ability to magnify the image by five or ten times in order to ensure optimal focus. Live View is at its best during tripod shooting - particularly for close-up photography where precise focusing is imperative.
The EOS Integrated Cleaning System uses ultrasonic vibrations to literally shake dust particles off of the low-pass filter in front of the sensor each time the camera is powered up or shut down. Users also have the option of engaging the "clean now" function at will or bypassing it altogether. Additionally, the manual sensor cleaning function raises the mirror and allows users to clean dust that has stuck to the low-pass filter. The second part of the cleaning system is a software solution that maps the location of any spots that may remain on the sensor. Subsequently, the offending dust information is subtracted from the final image during post processing using the supplied Digital Photo Professional software.
The EOS-1Ds Mark III Digital SLR is compatible with the full line-up of Canon EF lenses and is also compatible with any of the EX Speedlite line of flash units and supports the E-TTL II protocol that provides reliable flash output whether shooting fill-in flash pictures in sunlight, or using flash in total darkness. The camera is also compatible with 15 different interchangeable focusing screens, an extensive range of remote control and lighting accessories, and the WFT-E2A Wireless File Transmitter which permits wireless transfer and back-up, connection to a GPS receiver, or data transfer to a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 external storage devices as well as remote control of the camera in Live View mode.
Note: Firmware Update Available: Click Here
- 21.1 Megapixel Full-Frame CMOS Sensor with 14-bit A/D Conversion
- The EOS-1Ds Mark III uses a full-frame (36 x 24mm) CMOS sensor, which delivers approximately 21.1 effective megapixels delivering high-resolution images with Photoshop file sizes over 60MB for outstanding quality at large print sizes and extensive cropping flexibility. Furthermore the 14-bit per channel A/D converter processes the output of the imaging sensor, resulting in 16,384 distinct brightness steps , and ensures smoother tonal transitions and more natural gradations. The cameras RAW images are recorded at the full 14 bit per channel color depth, and once processed will preserve the entire range of tones when opened in Photoshop's 16-bit color space.
- Light-weight and Durable Body with Enhanced Weather Resistance
- The EOS-1Ds Mark III is more rugged than its predecessors - clad in a magnesium alloy shell, chassis and top panel, the camera exhibits impressive strength while keeping the camera's weight to a minimum. And all of the controls and external cover seams are sealed from water and dust. The camera also features impressive shutter durability and has been designed and tested to withstand over 300,000 exposures.
- Self-Cleaning Sensor Unit and Dust Delete Data Detection
- The EOS-1Ds Mark III features a Self-Cleaning Sensor Unit. It functions by inducing ultrasonic vibrations in the low-pass filter of the CMOS sensor to literally shake the dust off of it. Any Dust that has been missed by the Integrated Self-Cleaning Sensor Unit can also be "erased" with the included Digital Photo Professional (DPP) software. The imaging sensor is able to single out the dust particles on its surface, and then plots out their location within the image for either manual or automatic removal in Canon's DPP software.
- High-precision Fast AF system
- The EOS-1Ds Mark III incorporates an extraordinary 45-point high-density area AF system that provides not only the industry's largest continuous AF coverage area, but also the greatest range of control over focusing point selection. The focusing point can be selected automatically by the camera (based on high-speed microcomputer analysis of image content), or users can manually select any of the 19 high precision cross-type AF points, which can be complemented by 26 additional Assist Points for fast, accurate focusing. Custom AF functions aid the photographer in choosing default focusing points, as well as changing the size of a manually-selected AF point, making this not only the fastest, but also the most customizable AF system on the planet.
- Fast Burst Shooting Capability
- The EOS-1Ds Mark III can maintain a maximum continuous shooting speed of 5 frames per second, for up to 56 full-resolution JPEG images or 12 RAW images. This impressive shooting speed is achieved thanks to the unparalleled Canon high-speed data management technologies incorporated into the camera, including the use of dual DIGIC III processor chips.
- Dual DIGIC III Image Processor
- The EOS-1Ds Mark III uses Dual DIGIC III chips, working in parallel, to dramatically enhance image quality and deliver impressive speed and power. The DIGIC III Image Processors work in concert with Canon's CMOS sensor to achieve the highest levels of performance, giving the camera its incredible combination of speed and image quality, while minimizing digital noise.
- Highlight Tone Priority
- The EOS-1Ds Mark III provides a Highlight Tone Priority setting that expands the cameras exposure range to the maximum allowable highlight level, resulting in smoother highlights and a minimization of loss in highlight detail. This Function maximizes detail in bright highlights, even in high contrast lighting conditions. Furthermore this impressive custom mode has no impact on the camera's shooting speed or burst capability.
- Picture Style Settings
- Picture Style settings recreate the characteristics of your favorite films by making automatic adjustments to color, saturation, sharpness and contrast settings to generate noticeable variation in the captured images. In addition to six preset Picture Styles (Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful and Monochrome), users can create three additional settings for their particular photographic style.
- Large 3.0-inch LCD Monitor, Featuring Live View
- Not only does the 3.0-inch LCD monitor on the EOS-1Ds Mark III provide the ability to review your images on a bright and large display, and makes access to the camera setting easier, the camera also has a Live View option, so you can compose and shoot directly from the LCD monitor. Live View also enables you to zoom in and navigate the composition at 5x or 10x normal size, thereby enabling critical manual focus and allowing more attention to detail. You can even choose a grid overlay to aid in framing your shot, perfect for keeping straight lines in your subject straight in your pictures. In the studio, the Live View Function can be used remotely via a computer through the cameras USB connection, or wirelessly or via Ethernet with the optional Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E2A attached. In addition, the Live View function adds a totally unique method for near-silent shooting, with two silent shooting modes.
- Compatible with UDMA CF Cards
- The EOS-1Ds Mark III supports the latest, faster UDMA (Ultra Direct Memory Access) CF memory cards. UDMA-compliant CF cards offer twice the data transfer rate of conventional cards, further enhancing the shooting and post-shooting performance of the EOS-1Ds Mark III.
- Compatible with Canon's Full Line of EOS Lenses and Accessories
- The EOS-1Ds Mark III is compatible with Canon's world-renowned lineup of professional EF Lenses including over 50 models ranging from 14mm ultra-wide-angle to 1,200mm super-telephoto, and supports Canon's universally acclaimed L Series lenses, and Canon's Image Stabilizer technology. The camera also supports full TTL control with Canon EX series Speedlite flash units and can even support wireless data transfer with the WFT-E2A Wireless File Transmitter.
- Powerful Bundled Software
The EOS-1Ds Mark III comes with the latest incarnation of the Canon EOS Digital Solution Disc (Version 15.0) so you can get the most out of your camera. It includes Canon's ZoomBrowser EX (for Windows), ImageBrower (for Macintosh), Digital Photo Professional, Canon's EOS Utility, RAW Image Task, PhotoStitch, and PTP TWAIN Driver. Each application is designed to maximize image quality and streamline the digital workflow.
- Digital Photo Professional 3.2
This is an extremely sophisticated image processing application that enables RAW image processing, and supports sRGB, Adobe RGB and Wide Gamut RGB color spaces. It also features the Dust Delete Data Detection tool for cleaner images, and provides real-time image adjustment for intuitive image adjustment.
- EOS Utility 2.0
The utility software provides data transfer support and remote controlled shooting from the computer when the camera is tethered by the USB connection. It also provides linking to either Canon's ZoomBrowser/ImageBrowser or Digital Photo Professional software once images have been copied to the hard drive, and even supports upload capability back into the camera
- ZoomBrowser EX/ImageBrowser 5.8
This user-friendly software allows for viewing and elementary editing of JPEG and RAW image files, as well as TIFF and BMP files. The software provides a variety of search options, permits renaming of either single images or batches, and offers a variety of options for printing your images. Plus, the RAW Image Task is an integrated component that allows processing of RAW images with a variety of adjustment possibilities.
- Digital Photo Professional 3.2