The Canon EOS 50D SLR Digital Camera features an APS-C sized 15.1-megapixel CMOS sensor for superb quality images and the latest DIGIC 4 Image Processor to provide superior color reproduction, and improved ISO capabilities for uncompromised shooting even in the dimmest situations. It also features a 3.0-inch Clear View LCD monitor, supercharged Live View Function with Face Detection Live mode, plus a number of automatic Image Correction settings and HDMI output.
The 15.1-megapixel image sensor delivers ultra-detailed images and the redesigned photo diodes and micro lenses of the sensor extend its light gathering capabilities to ensure improved high ISO performance and low noise. Furthermore, the camera's ISO sensitivity is an astounding 3200 with expanded sensitivity to an ultra-sensitive 12800. The Integrated Cleaning System includes a Self Cleaning Sensor Unit with a fluorine coating to improve the camera's image quality by helping to reduce, repel and remove unwanted dust from the sensor. Plus, stubborn particles can be removed automatically in post-production with Dust Delete Data and Canon's included Digital Photo Professional software.
The 50D is incredibly fast thanks to the DIGIC 4 processor - it allows for up to 6.3 fps continuous shooting, in bursts of up to 90 JPEG images (with a UDMA CF card). Furthermore, Canon's wide area AF system uses 9 individual cross type sensors, so stunning action sequences can be captured - even in low-light conditions - making the EOS 50D particularly suited to sports and wildlife shooting. The DIGIC 4 processor also delivers 14-bit image processing, for smooth gradation and natural-looking colors - as well as ensuring ultra-fast startup times and near-instant image review after shooting.
The 3.0" Clear View VGA LCD (920,000 pixels) provides an extra-large and wide angle-of-view image review, with plenty of clarity for accurate focus checks in playback. By switching to Live View mode - which displays a real-time image on the LCD - photographers can enjoy simplified shooting from awkward angles, or connect to a PC for remote shooting. In addition, the Live Mode offers three ways to auto focus: Quick AF, Live AF, and Face Detection Live AF, which optimizes focus based on faces detected in the frame - for fast, spontaneous portraiture. The camera even offers HDMI output for viewing images on an HDTV - directly from the camera.
Even with all of these high powered features, the EOS 50D features Canon's renowned intuitive EOS menu system, along with a Quick Control screen, for instant access to the most commonly-changed settings. There is also a Creative Auto mode that offers automatic focus and exposure - while still allowing the user to add creative 'tweaks' to settings such as background sharpness. Altogether the Canon EOS 50D is an excellent product for advanced amateur photographers and entry-level professionals.
- 15.1 Megapixel CMOS Sensor
- The EOS 50D features a 15.1-megapixel APS-C sized CMOS sensor which is capable of recording up to 4752 x 3168 pixels with full 14-bit A/D conversion for extremely fine tonal gradation. It can capture images with exceptional clarity and has the same 3:2 ratio as a film camera, but with a focal length conversion factor of 1.6x. The use of improved micro lenses and the latest manufacturing techniques mean each pixel is more sensitive to light, making the camera capable of recording at sensitivities previously too noisy for shooting in low light or subjects in motion.
- Incredibly High ISO Sensitivity
- With a wide ISO range of 100-3200 and a maximum ISO rating of 12800 (H1: 6400, H2: 12800) combined with a 4-level High ISO speed noise reduction function, the Canon EOS 50D can capture beautiful, well balanced images that would usually be impossible without the use of a strobe or flash.
- DIGIC 4 Image Processor
- The DIGIC 4 Image Processor of the EOS 50D offers finer details and even more natural color reproduction, compared with previous incarnations, and utilizes advanced signal processing technologies to provide even faster operations, along with faster write times when using UDMA type CF cards. The DIGIC 4 Processor also mediates Canon's Face Detection Live mode, allowing the camera to detect and focus up to 35 face(s) and capture the best possible group or portrait shots. An improved Auto Lighting Optimizer is also available to correct image brightness and contrast automatically, and the innovative Peripheral Illumination Correction is available for up to 40 EF lenses.
- Outstanding Performance
- The EOS 50D is one of the fastest digital SLRs available with the ability to shoot up to 6.3 fps, making it ideal for everything from wildlife to sports. It can capture up to 90 JPEGs when using UDMA CF cards, as well as 60 consecutive JPEGS or 16 RAW using standard CF cards. The camera also has a nearly instant start-up time of 0.15 seconds, speedy autofocus with predictive AF focus and minimal shutter lag of only 59 milliseconds, making the EOS 50D one of the fastest cameras available, so you'll never, ever miss a shot.
- Durable and Reliable
- The EOS 50D exterior is constructed with lightweight and ultra-rigid magnesium-alloy giving the camera a solid, substantial feel that complements its compact dimensions. Designed to withstand the rigors of everyday use, the camera is shock, dust and weather resistant.
- Fast AF System
- The high-precision 9-point wide area AF system and each of the nine AF points uses a cross-type coverage system, enabling the camera to focus faster, more accurately, and in ever more complex lighting situations than previous models. For added accuracy and precision, the 50D incorporates a diagonally mounted, high-precision cross-type sensor at the center AF point that is sensitive to both vertical and horizontal lines when fast lenses (f/2.8 or faster) are used. Furthermore, the camera has a number of focus modes, including One-Shot AF, AI Focus AF and AI Servo AF, and all focus points can be chosen automatically, or accessed using the intuitive, thumb operated Multi-Controller.
- Versatile Exposure Metering System
- The 35-zone metering sensor of the EOS 50D provides for multiple patterns including Evaluative metering, which is linked to all AF points, Center-weighted average metering, Partial metering and Spot metering (covering 3.8 percent of the viewfinder at center). The camera also has 12 exposure control modes (11 AE modes plus manual), and three Custom exposure modes.
- Large 3.0-inch VGA LCD Monitor
- The large three-inch Clear View LCD screen of the EOS 50D has an incredible resolution of 920,000 pixels, is brighter than previous models with a broad color gamut and a wide viewing angle of 160 degrees in order to facilitate easy viewing - even under less than ideal viewing conditions such as bright sunlight. The surface of the display screen is prepared with multiple coatings for improved viewing and smudge-resistant protection, while the large overall size of the screen makes it easy for users to read menus and icons and thereby gain easier access to camera settings like ISO, Metering modes AF Point selection and flash options.
- Live View Function
- The advanced Live View Function is a powerful feature that enables viewing your subjects directly on the 3-inch LCD monitor while shooting, and users can magnify any part of the scene 5x or 10x for precise manual focus. Users can even choose from 2 overlay grid options, perfect for keeping straight lines in your subject straight in your pictures. In the studio, the camera can be controlled remotely with Live View Function when the camera is connected to a computer through a USB cable, or wirelessly if the optional Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E3A is used.
- Comfortable Viewfinder
- The EOS 50D incorporates an upgraded viewfinder that has an optical magnification of 0.95x and an eye point of 22mm. Users can even change the focus screen and opt for a grid-type focus screen that makes it easier to verify horizontal or vertical alignment, as well as a Super-Precision Matte focusing screen that makes manual focusing easier when using a lens with a maximum aperture of f/2.8 or faster.
- EOS Integrated Cleaning System
- The Camera combats sensor dust in three important ways; Dust is Reduced through improved camera mechanism design, Anti Static technologies (including a special fluorine coating) then Repel dust from the surface of the image sensor's low-pass filter, then there is the Self-Cleaning Sensor Unit to Remove any dust from the sensor's filter by using hi-frequency vibrations to shake it off. And if there happens to be any stubborn dust particles that still remain on the image sensor filter after all of this, the Dust Delete Data system can map the position of visible dust on the sensor, which is then deleted automatically with the included Digital Photo Professional software.
- "Picture Style" Settings
- With Picture Style technology, photographers can utilize one of six preset Picture Style settings (Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful and Monochrome), or adjust color, saturation, sharpness and contrast settings to create one of three additional user programmable settings to suit their particular photographic style.
- Creative Auto Mode
- The Creative Auto mode and the quick control screen help novice users narrow the gap between fully automatic and manual control. While the camera will remain by default in fully automatic mode, frequently changed settings like flash, exposure compensation, image quality and more are all accessible through one easy screen interface designed for intuitive, quick action.
- High-Definition Video Output
- The EOS 50D includes an HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) output that enables the display of your photographs on any HDTV with HDMI ports. Resolution is set automatically to match the TV to which you've connected, and images are displayed in a full-frame 3:2 ratio with blacked out bars to the left and right of the image. The High Definition output can be utilized by professional photographers to get immediate client approval or can be used by anyone to present slide shows or photo presentations of your last shoot.
- Sophisticated Flash Photography
- The EOS 50D features the acclaimed E-TTL II flash metering system, and is compatible with any of the Canon EX Speedlite series flash units. The E-TTL II system provides reliable flash output whether shooting fill-in flash pictures in sunlight, or using flash in total darkness. This flash system utilizes the same 35-zone metering sensor used for measuring ambient light, giving even finer metering command of the image area. The Canon Speedlite 430EX II is the ideal step-up accessory with excellent flash power, provides bounce flash, with its tilting and swiveling flash head, and it automatically zooms the flash head to cover lenses ranging from 16mm up to 105mm or longer. Plus, the 430EX II provides a powerful AF-assist beam, which allows the camera to autofocus even in total darkness on subjects as far as 32 ft. from the camera.
- Compatible with All Canon EF & EF-S Lenses
- The EOS 50D is compatible with all Canon lenses in the EF lineup, ranging from ultra-wide angle to super telephoto lenses, and including Canon's EF-S series lenses, manufactured specifically for Canon's APS-C sized digital sensor. Canon lenses employ advanced optical expertise and micron-precision engineering to deliver unprecedented performance in all facets of the photographic process. Aspherical optics and fluorite elements, for example, are featured in the universally acclaimed L Series lenses, and Canon's Image Stabilizer technology in select lenses minimizes the effect of camera shake.
- Lens Peripheral Illumination Correction
- Canon's exclusive Lens Peripheral Illumination setting automatically evens out the brightness across the image by taking into account any light falloff in the corners of the frame and correcting it, for a perfectly exposed image. Correction data are detected automatically on a number of Canon EF lenses and can be entered manually through the included Canon EOS Utility software.
- Additional System Accessories
- In addition to Canon's EF lenses and Speedlite flashes, many other accessories are designed by Canon to work perfectly with the EOS 50D. The Battery Grip BG-E2N adds a vertical shutter release, and is compatible with up to two of Canon's BP-511A Lithium-ion battery packs for increased shooting capacity, or alternatively a set of six AA-size batteries, for greater convenience when traveling. The EOS 50D is also compatible with the Canon WFT-E3A Wireless File Transmitter, which allows photographers to transmit images from their cameras directly to a computer over a Wireless network (802.11 b/g), connect to compatible third-party GPS device, or plug a compatible USB 2.0 hard drive into the transmitter's USB port, and actually shoot directly to a portable hard drive.
- Powerful Bundled Software
- Among the most valuable features of the Canon EOS 50D Digital SLR is its compatibility with Canon's Picture Style Editor (PSE) software. With PSE, shooters can actually design the look of their photographs by inputting their own preferred style, color and tone curves. Picture Style files created with Picture Style Editor can be loaded into the EOS cameras that support Picture Style and may also be used when processing RAW images. The camera also ships with the latest versions of Canon's powerful software applications, including Digital Photo Professional 3.5 and EOS Utility 2.5, which support the camera's Remote Live View and Dust Delete Data functions, as well as incorporating a broad range of additional improvements designed to improve image quality and speed up workflow. Also included are ZoomBrowser EX 6.2 (Windows) and ImageBrowser 6.2 (Macintosh) for easy browsing, viewing, printing and archiving with compatible computer operating systems, including Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows XP, as well as Mac OS X.