The Nikon D5000 digital SLR incorporates numerous pro-quality imaging technologies normally found in pricier Nikon DSLRs in a smaller, less-expensive Nikon DX-format camera body. Key among these features are the same 12.9 megapixel CMOS sensor found in the Nikon D90, High-Definition video capture (with sound), a 2.7" variable-angle LCD, Live View for composing stills or video from most any point-of-view, an 11-point autofocus system with Focus Tracking, and 3D Color Matrix II metering.
Other advanced Nikon features found in the D5000 include the ability to shoot in RAW, 3 levels of JPEG compression, or RAW+JPEG image capture, burst-rates up to 4 fps, an EXPEED image processor, and a 3-tier dust-removal system.
AVI-format video clips can be captured at 3 levels of compression in lengths up to 20 minutes with the ability to apply exposure compensation when shooting in Program, Shutter-priority, Aperture-priority, and Manual modes.
Depending on your needs, exposure information along with a grid screen for image composition can be displayed on the camera's multi-position LCD when shooting in Live View mode.
The Nikon D5000 is optimized for use with all AF-S and AF-I NIKKOR lenses and works with select functionality when used with Nikon Type G, D, AI-P, and non-CPU-series optics.
Included in this kit is the Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR AF-S DX Lens, which is an ultra compact, lightweight standard zoom lens that has a 3x focal zoom range and is ideally suited for use with compact Nikon digital SLR cameras that feature the smaller DX sized chip. This lens offers the most basic zoom range in the DX lens series, an equivalent focal length in 35mm terms of 27-82.5mm. It will conveniently cover everything from tight indoor portraits to standard snap shots.
- 12.3Mp DX-format CMOS image sensor
- High-resolution imaging sensor for sharp images and the ability to output poster-size prints
- HD 720p Video Capture with D-Movie Mode
- Capture high-definition video imaging with sound using the creative options afforded by Nikon lenses. Video clips can be recorded at 1280 x 720, 640 x 424, or 320 x 216 @ 24fps. The D-Movie mode optimizes highlight and shadow details for incredible detail and tonal quality
- Vari-angle LCD
- The Nikon D5000 is the first Nikon DSLR to offer a Vari-angle, 230,000-dot color LCD that allows you to compose still and video images from most any angle and shooting position
- Live View
- Live View mode enables you to view and compose images through-the-lens in real-time using the camera's 2.7" Vari-angle LCD
- 19 Auto-exposure Scene Modes
- Choose among 19 pre-set exposure modes designed to deliver optimum perfect exposures under a variety of common shooting situations
- Advanced Auto-Focus Modes
- The Nikon D5000 incorporates an 11-point AF system with Nikon 3D Focus Tracking and advanced Face Detection to ensure the sharpest possible pictures
- Low-noise ISO sensitivity
- Low-noise images can be captured under the most challenging of lighting conditions at ISO ratings ranging from a native 200 through 3200, and can be expanded from 100 through 6400 when needed
- In-Camera Image Editing
- Highlight and shadow details, as well as red-eye reduction, image overlaying, distortion controls, and other tonal adjustments can be performed in-camera, which eliminates the need for many post-capture image adjustments
- Advanced Dust Removal Systems
- The Nikon D5000 incorporates a 3-tier dust removal system including Image Dust-Off reference data using Nikon Capture NX2 software (optional) to best ensure clean, dust-free photographs
- GPS Geotagging
- You can tag your images with precise GPS coordinates when using the Nikon GP-1 GPS unit (optional)