The Sigma DP2s Digital Camera is a high-end compact digital camera equipped with a 14 megapixel Foveon X3 direct image sensor. Featuring Sigma's unique 'True' image processing engine and a 24.2mm (41mm equivalent) f/2.8 lens, this compact camera provides the same superb image quality as found in the Sigma SD14 professional SLR.
With the DP2s, it is possible to record images in RAW or the widely used JPEG in four resolution modes. The AF algorithm provides high speed auto focusing, and the Power Save Mode lowers battery consumption. When this mode is enabled, a greater number of pictures can be taken with a single charge of the battery. The back of the camera is designed to help you recognize all of the controls. Furthermore, it offers five exposure modes and three metering modes as well as being equipped with a built-in flash, hot shoe, and 2.5" TFT color LCD monitor.
Sigma Photo Pro 4.0 is supplied with the DP2s camera. The software makes processing RAW images quick and easy. It has a superior image processing algorithm and improved compatibility with multi core CPUs. It provides better image processing speed and improved image quality. Incorporation of a new noise reduction algorithm reduces Chroma and Luminance noise when processing X3F files taken at ISO400 or higher. It is possible to adjust the level of reduction for noise just by moving the slider in the control pallet.
- Foveon X3 Image Sensor
- The 14 megapixel FOVEON X3 direct image sensor (2652 x 1768 x 3 layers), is the same as used in the Sigma SD14 digital SLR. The image sensor uses three silicon embedded layers of photo sensors, stacked to take advantage of silicon's ability to absorb red, green and blue light at different respective depths.
- Fast Lens
- A 24.2mm f/2.8 Sigma lens, with field of view equivalent to 41mm on a 35mm film camera, has been developed to maximize the image quality in conjunction with the full color capture image sensor, and the wide aperture of this lens allows users to get better shots in low light. There is also an optional lens hood available that includes a hood adapter designed to accept a 46mm lens filters.
- Sigma 'True II' Image Processor
- Sigma's unique and powerful 'True II' (Three-layer Responsive Ultimate Engine) image processor is incorporated into the DP2s, enabling it to handle the large image files produced by the 14 megapixel sensor and reproduce exceptional definition with image quality equal to professional digital SLR cameras and on a par with top quality film.
- Versatile Focus System
- The AF area of the DP2s is equipped with 9 focusing points, and it is possible to manually select the desired focusing point of the 9 available. The camera also provides Manual Focus for photographers who like to take more control or for use when autofocus or focus lock is not effective.
- Accurate Color
- The DP2s takes advantage of the image sensor's superior technology to capture accurate, full color image information.
- Advanced Metering
- The DP2s has three metering modes, Evaluative Metering, Center Weighted Average Metering and Spot Metering. It is also possible to select the exposure mode from Auto, Program AE, Aperture Priority AE, Shutter Priority AE or Manual. Exposure compensation can be set in 1/3 stop increments from +3.0 to -3.0 stops and an auto bracketing function is also available.
- Built-in Flash and Hot Shoe
- The built-in pop-up flash has a guide number of 6 (ISO100/m), and the flash has settings for Normal Flash, Red-Eye Reduction Flash and Slow Synchro Mode; plus it features flash exposure compensation in 1/3 stops increments. The DP2s camera is also equipped with a hot shoe, allowing use of the dedicated external flashgun (EF-140 DG) providing TTL flash exposure, or a high performance view finder (VF-11). Other flash units (e.g. EF-500 DG and EF-530 DG flashgun series) can be used in manual mode only.
- Movie Recording
- The camera can record movies with QVGA resolution (320 x 240) at a fame rate of 30 fps, plus the digital zoom function can be used during movie shooting.
- 2.5 inch LCD Display
- The Sigma DP2s is equipped with a large 2.5" TFT color LCD monitor with 100% image preview, making confirmation of composition, focusing and exposure quick and easy.
- Records JPEG & RAW Files
- This compact camera includes JPEG recording format for speed and convenience and a RAW data (X3F) recording mode for retaining full image capture detail of the utmost quality.
- Includes Sigma Photo Pro 4.0 Software
- The DP2s comes complete with Sigma Photo Pro 4.0 software, a RAW image developer that converts all RAW data quickly and easily. Adjustments can be made in three separate modes. The X3F Mode 3 stores the original settings of the image at the point of capture. In the Auto Adjustment Mode, the software analyzes and automatically makes adjustments to the RAW data. The Custom Mode allows the photographer to make individual adjustments (exposure, contrast, shadow, highlight, saturation, sharpness and fill-light for example). The photographer can make changes easily and quickly by simply adjusting the slider controls within the software.