The Canon EOS C100 EF Camera with 24-105mm f/4L Lens constitutes a remarkable pairing of camera and lens. The camera features a Super 35mm CMOS image sensor and the DIGIC DV III image processor for capturing cinematic video with shallow depth of field, 12-stops of dynamic range and exceptional low-light sensitivity. The lens offers an extensive focal length range, a constant maximum aperture of f/4 and Canon's USM auto focus technology. Independent event videographers and video production organizations will appreciate the EOS C100's cinema quality imaging capabilities and its compact, modular form factor.
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF Technology
This is an optional upgrade feature that provides enhanced autofocusing, which prevents motion artifacts during rapid talent and pan moves. This feature requires your C100 to be sent to an accredited Canon service center where the upgrade will be installed at a cost of $500.
This upgrade provides an Autofocus mode to help ensure sharp focus and smooth focus transitions. It provides a new Continuous AF (Autofocus) function for all autofocus Lenses, using Dual Pixel CMOS AF technology. A new AF Lock setting also lets you change the image framing while holding the desired focus. This feature is ideal for users who regularly shoot with smaller crews, who shoot moving subjects, or who want smoother, more natural-looking autofocus.
Dual Pixel CMOS AF technology features a CMOS sensor that consists of an array of pixels that each feature two separate photodiodes. By continuously comparing their outputs during AF mode, phase-difference autofocus helps ensure non-blurred images and smooth focus transitions even when the talent and/or camera are moving. The new feature places a high priority on maintaining sharp focus while providing a natural, smooth autofocus movement with select Canon EF lenses - including newer-generation STM lenses - which offer even smoother and quieter operation.
This upgrade will have firmware version 126.96.36.199.00, which also includes the Continuous Recording enhancement available with firmware version 188.8.131.52.00.
- Continuous Recording Firmware Update
- Firmware update version 184.108.40.206.00, available free on Canon's EOS website, provides a continuous, nonstop recording function and the ability to create In and Out points in the footage every time the START/STOP button is pressed. At this time, the continuous recording function is compatible with Grass Valley's EDIUS Pro 7 software.
- Super 35mm 8.3MP CMOS Sensor
- The C100's Super 35mm-sized sensor provides an angle-of-view and depth of field that equivalent to that of traditional Super 35mm film. With a native resolution of 8.3MP and a wider pixel pitch than conventional professional camcorders, the C100's sensor offers enhanced sensitivity and reduced noise in low light environments.
- Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS EF USM AF Lens
- Canon's 24-105mm f/4L utilizes one Super-UD glass element and three aspherical elements, which minimize chromatic aberration and distortion. The result is excellent picture quality, even at wide apertures. The constant maximum aperture of f/4 allows users to zoom through the entire full focal length range without compromising exposure values. Ring USM (Ultrasonic motor) technology uses ultrasonic frequency vibrations to drive responsive, near-silent high speed auto focus, and full-time manual focus override is available without having to switch out of AF. Super Spectra Coatings suppress flare and ghosting and help achieve true color balance and contrast.
- EF Lens Mount with EF Contacts
- The C100 is fully compatible with Canon's renowned EF-mount lenses. Even specialty lenses, such as Canon's 24mm f/3.5L II tilt shift lens or the 8-15mm f/4L Ultra-Wide Zoom fisheye lens, are available on the C100. When shooting with EF lenses, C100 features peripheral illumination correction which automatically compensates for light fall-off in the corners of the image. Furthermore, continuous AF will be available via a firmware update for compatibility with Canon EF Lenses with STM focusing.
- HDMI Outputs a Non-Compression Signal
- The C100 outputs an uncompressed signal via HDMI. This signal superimposes timecode and the 2:3 pulldown marker, which means an external recorder and converter can process the HDMI output as an SDI signal. External recorders provide an instant back-up and help to streamline post-production workflows.
- ISO 320 and up to ISO 20000
- A maximum ISO of 20000 allows the C100 to record in low light environments. This is ideal for working with available light. Although higher ISOs always translate into a noisier image, the C100 utilizes the same signal processing as 3-chip RGB systems, which produces a superior image quality.
- Dual SDHC/SDXC Card Slots
- Secure Digital memory cards offer professional grade read/write speeds and reliability at ever more affordable prices. Dual SDHC/SDXC memory card slots allow the C100 to record simultaneously to two memory cards, creating an instant back-up. What's more, C100 can record HD footage to Slot A while simultaneously recording down-converted SD footage to Slot B.
- Wide DR and Canon Log Gamma
- Canon Log records an image with subdued contrast and sharpness, which preserves a high dynamic range and presupposes color grading in post production. Wide DR is a new gamma setting based on Rec. 709, which offers a wide dynamic range and smooth gradations in highlights and shadow, without requiring processing in post-production.
- Reduced Rolling Shutter Skews
- Traditional CMOS sensors scan one line at a time and sometimes produce a rolling shutter skew when shooting fast moving objects or executing a quick pan. The C100's CMOS sensor features the same signal processing as 3-chip RGB systems, which reduces the angle of distortion compared to cameras with regular CMOS sensors of the same size.
- Built-in ND Filters with Manual Operation
- In excessively bright environments neutral density filters are often required to avoid over exposure, without compromising desirable shutter and aperture settings. The C100 features built-in ND filters in three densities, which make for four ND configurations (OFF, 2 stops, 4 stops, 6 stops). The built-in ND filters are deployed via a manual dial.
- Two XLR Audio Connectors
- The C100 includes a top mounted handle unit, which features two XLR connectors and a microphone shock mount. XLR connections offer a high quality audio input for professional grade microphones and facilitate 2-channel 48kHz linear PCM (24Mbps) audio recordings.
- One Shot AF and Push Auto Iris
- One-Shot AF executes focus adjustments with a dedicated button, and the Push Auto Iris button automatically adjusts the aperture of the lens to quickly and easily maintain proper exposure. Both of these functions can be accessed even when operating in manual mode.
- Full Manual Control and Focusing Aids
- The EOS C100 offers complete manual control of each aspect of the recording process. Create and recall custom picture settings, camera functions, and display options. The camera also features several powerful and intuitive focusing aids in both the EVF and LCD monitor that make it easy to confirm critical focus distance; Peaking Modes and Magnify Focus Modes are available while in standby or while recording. Additionally, the LCD features Edge Monitor Display; green waveforms display the overall focus of the scene and red waveforms provide focus feedback of the three focus check boxes visible on the LCD monitor.