The black EOS M Mirrorless Digital Camera Kit with 22mm f/2 Lens and 90EX Flash from Canon combines the EOS M mirrorless digital camera with a wide-angle prime lens and the Speedlite 90EX flash unit. The flash's compact size and lightweight design are well-matched to the EOS M and the guide number of 30' at ISO 100 and optical wireless master function make it a versatile tool for rounding out the imaging abilities of the camera.
The EOS M features an APS-C-sized 18 megapixel CMOS sensor and DIGIC 5 image processor to produce high resolution still imagery and Full HD 1080p video at 30 fps with notable low-light sensitivity to an expandable ISO of 25600. A 3.0" 1,040k-dot LCD monitor is integrated into the design and features a touchscreen interface for intuitive navigation of menus and playback options as well as precise control over focus points by using the Touch AF function. Hybrid CMOS AF is also available, which combines both phase- and contrast-detection methods of focusing to provide fast and accurate performance when working in live view. While recording movies, the Movie Servo AF mode can be employed for continuous focusing abilities that pairs well with the included EF-M 22mm f/2 STM lens and its stepping motor for smoother, quieter focus performance. The EOS M also integrates a host of camera settings and modes, such as Scene Intelligent Auto, Handheld Night Scene Mode, and HDR Backlight Control.
The EF-M 22mm f/2 STM lens provides the 35mm focal length equivalent of a 35mm wide-angle lens, ideal for versatile, everyday shooting. Its maximum aperture of f/2 is effective in low light and creates a shallow depth of field and its minimum focus distance is only 5.9". The above mentioned stepping motor offers smooth, accurate and quiet autofocus and an aspherical lens element reduces aberrations for clear, high resolution imaging. Its compact, lightweight form factor matches well with the build of the EOS M digital camera.
- Sensor and Image Processor
- High resolution 18.0 MP CMOS APS-C (1.6x crop factor) sensor and high performance DIGIC 5 image processor equal fast functional response, exceptional image quality and sharp detail in both photo and video.
- Full HD (1080p) Movie
- The EOS-M offers Full HD (1080p) Movie mode with Movie Servo AF for continuous focus tracking of moving subjects, manual exposure control, multiple resolution and frame rates, built-in stereo microphone with a wind filter, manual audio level adjustment, and Video Snapshot with editing. Combined with STM lenses, such as the included 22mm f/2 STM lens, the Movie Servo AF provides smooth, silent auto-focus function, a great benefit when shooting video. The camera automatically splits files larger than 4GB for extended, uninterrupted recording and offers a jack for compatible external microphones. The file format for shooting video on the EOS-M is MOV with H.264 compression standard. Video can be recorded in Full HD, HD and SD and at Full HD the possible frames rates are 30, 24 and 25 frames per second. Auto exposure and manual exposure control are both possible on video as well as photo capture.
- ISO Sensitivity
- Normal ISO sensitivity on the EOS-M ranges from 100-12800 but expands in High Sensitivity Mode to 25600 for faster shutter speeds and sharper details in low light.
- Hybrid CMOS Auto-focus
- Hybrid CMOS AF uses a combination of both Contrast AF, which utilizes the CMOS sensor, and Phase Difference Auto-focus to increase accuracy and auto-focus speed in both photo and video.
- Touch Screen LCD with Touch AF
- Thanks to a new construction between the its resin-coated cover and the liquid crystal display, the 3.0" Clear View LCD monitor keeps glare to a minimum and makes it easy to see your images even in bright light. The 1,040,000-dot resolution is ideal for playback and focusing and the smudge-resistant coating on the LCD preserves the luminosity after multiple touches. Numerous camera operations can be handled by the touch screen including Auto-focus control, whereby you touch the LCD screen on the part of the image you want in focus. Two-finger (multi-touch) control allows you to zoom, scroll images and navigate the menus as you would with a smartphone.
- Lens Compatibility
- At this point, Canon has introduced two M series lenses including the 22mm f/2 STM lens that is included in this kit, but the EF-M mount on the EOS-M camera is able to use any of the huge family of Canon EF and EF-S lenses. The EF-EOS Mount Adapter will be necessary, but this opens up the EOS-M's range of creative possibilities to... endless!
- Noise Reduction
- Multi Shot Noise Reduction provides outstanding noise reduction while preserving fine detail in photos at high ISO speeds. With MSNR activated, the camera takes four consecutive shots of the same image, then merges and aligns them, reducing noise and blur.
- Continuous Shooting and Burst Rate
- For still photography, the EOS-M can shoot up to 4.3 frames per second for up to 15 shots utilizing an SD card in JPEG. With a UHS-I card that number lifts to 17 shots at 4.3 fps. For video, the continuous shooting time in Full HD based on a 16GB memory card is 44 minutes.
- Advanced Imaging Features
- Handheld Night Scene and High Dynamic Range are assistive functions that allow all levels of photographers to take advantage of digital advancements to improve their shooting results. HDR, for example, shoots three images of the exact same image simultaneously in various exposures and combines the three into one perfectly balanced photo. This is ideal when shooting images that have both shadow and bright light and those whose subject is lit from behind. The EOS-M also offers seven Creative Filters to enhance your images, including Toy Camera Effect and Art Bold Effect, which makes your photo look like an oil painting.
- Scene Intelligent Auto Mode
- Scene Intelligent Auto mode optimizes all of the camera's auto controls to provide the best settings based on the camera's reading of the scene. You compose the shot, the camera does the rest.
- The EOS M Mirrorless Digital Camera uses popular SD, SDHC, SDXC memory cards and is even compatible with the newest Ultra High Speed (UHS-I) memory cards.
- Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Lens
- This EOS-M kit comes with the 22mm f/2 STM lens. It is a moderate wide-angle prime lens equivalent to a 35mm lens in the 35mm format. It is ultra-slim, befitting the mirrorless camera's form and lightweight. The f/2 aperture means fast shutter speeds are possible even in low light conditions and the minimum focusing distance is 5.9" (O.15m). It houses one aspheric lens element and a 7-blade circular aperture which can deliver beautiful bokeh. It is an STM lens which stands for stepping motor and provides a smooth, silent autofocus when used with the EOS-M's Movie Servo AF. Silent auto-focus is particularly useful when shooting video so that the sound of the AF does not interfere with the audio you are recording.
- Speedlite 90EX Flash Unit
- The Speedlite 90EX combines powerful lighting (Guide No.: 30'/9m at ISO 100) with a compact, lightweight design (1.8 oz/51 g), making it ideal for the Canon EOS M Digital Camera. With many features directly accessed through the camera's menu system, the Speedlite 90EX offers easy and intuitive operation. It can control multiple flash units for advanced, creative lighting effects. The Speedlite 90EX also features a standard Canon EOS hot shoe mount for compatibility with all EOS SLRs.