The Sony KDL-65S990A is designed for cinematic viewing with its curved 65" 1080p display. This television features Sony X-Reality Pro image processing for color and contrast optimization. This TV uses Sony's Dynamic Edge LED backlight with local dimming to add depth to shadow detail and black levels. Sony's Motionflow technology is also onboard, which reduces distortion on fast-moving images, commonly seen in video games and televised sporting events. This TV can access Sony's Entertainment Network and has built-in 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi for streaming music and movies. Sony's Entertainment Network interface also has an Opera web browser for viewing and exploring Internet pages and a conditional promotion for Netflix and Hulu Plus streaming. Android and iOS users can download the Sony TV SideView app from their respective app stores and control this television from a smartphone or tablet.
This TV includes 4 pairs of 3D glasses and supports passive 3D technology, which means that batteries are not required for 3D viewing. With one component video and four HDMI inputs, there are multiple options for connecting high-definition sources. The component video input also acts as a hybrid port, which allows you to connect an additional composite video source. In addition to a standard remote control, this TV also includes a second one-touch remote for instant content sharing between the display and a mobile device.
For audio, Sony's S-Force virtual surround technology works with the curved 40 watt 4 channel speaker system of this TV to simulate a 5.1 speaker environment. This technology is designed to add a sense of depth to audio and widen the soundstage for listeners who are sitting off-center. Even with built-in surround simulation, you have the option of using the TV's optical output to connect to a traditional surround sound audio system.
- Sony X-Reality PRO Picture Engine
- Sony's X-Reality PRO picture engine is designed to clean and refine images. This feature optimizes colors, contrast, and is engineered to bring lower resolution content to near HD quality.
- Triluminos Display Technology
- Triluminos technology is designed to add depth to images and produce life-like natural shades and colors. Hard-to-reproduce reds, aqua blues and emerald greens are optimized, so landscapes and seascapes look vivid and faces appear natural.
- Dynamic Edge LED Backlighting
- Dynamic Edge LED Backlighting uses local dimming, which delivers pitch-black night scenes and illuminates bright scenes. Rather than illuminating the entire screen, contrast is boosted in just the right areas to produce a life-like picture.
- Motionflow XR 480 Technology
- Motionflow XR 480 takes motion clarity beyond refresh rates. This technology is designed to smooth out the image and minimize distortion on fast-moving content to produce clearer and natural movement.
- Control the TV or browse the channel guide with your Android or iOS smartphone or tablet without interfering with what you're watching on the TV. You can even use your mobile device to learn more about the show you're watching right now, like cast and episode details. SideView allows you to search what's available to watch on TV, Internet videos, and streaming apps like Netflix. Once you find what you want to watch, you can select to view it on the TV. You can use your portable device to access social network sites and share what you're watching.
- Smartphone and Tablet Control
- With Mobile High Definition Link (MHL) you can connect your MHL compatible smartphone or tablet to your television and "mirror" your mobile device image on your TV. Video, photos and apps are re-sized and scaled to fit the larger TV screen, you can then use the TV remote to navigate the phone, while it's charging from the TV. Using screen mirroring technology, you can wirelessly connect phones that are Miracast enabled to the TV. You can also connect your smartphone or tablet to your TV with one-touch NFC, which allows you to use the included one-touch remote to instantly share your mobile device's screen on your television.
Network: This Sony TV features built-in Wi-Fi and DLNA for streaming content like pictures and music directly to your television from other DLNA devices. When Wi-Fi isn't available, this TV also has a 10/100 Ethernet connection for wired high-speed Internet access. Three USB 2.0 ports are also included for photo viewing and media playback. Skype subscribers can connect a webcam to one of the TV's USB interfaces for Skype video conferencing.
Video: This TV features four HDMI, one composite video and one component video input. The component video input also functions as a second composite video input. One of its HDMI inputs supports Mobile HD Link (MHL) and Audio Return Channel (ARC). MHL allows you to connect a mini-HDMI cable to your smartphone or tablet for HD display on your television, while ARC allows you to listen to TV audio from an external audio system without using a separate digital optical cable.
Custom Installation: Custom Installers can utilize the display's RS-232C and IR interfaces, which utilizes command codes for simplified system integration and control.
- S-Force Front Surround Technology
- Sony S-Force technology processes audio signals to create a virtual 5.1 soundstage.
- Netflix and Hulu Plus Offer
- This TV comes with free Netflix and Hulu Plus for one year. Certain conditions apply. Please see manufacturer's website for details.