The Radial PreMax Channel Strip from Radial Engineering combines a low-noise microphone preamplifier with a 3-band equalizer to deliver clean results.
The design begins with a high-performance Op-Amp coupled with Radial's unique Accustate gain control that simultaneously sets the input sensitivity and signal gain to deliver outstanding signal-to-noise at all levels. Visual monitoring is provided with the LEDs for signal and overload. The preamp then feeds a traditional 3-band EQ for tone shaping. This musical sounding EQ lets you gently boost the top end for more clarity, add warmth to the bottom end, or cut back the mids on an overly aggressive instrument.
A front panel switch lets you bypass the EQ and compare the pre-post effect. This is augmented with a high-pass filter to eliminate low-end resonance that can cause a track to sound muddy or lack detail. A 180° polarity reverse works double duty to either help align a stereo microphone setup or enable the PreMax to be interfaced with older vintage gear that may not follow the AES Pin-2 hot convention.
For safety, the 48V phantom power switch is recessed to prevent accidental turn-on, which could damage tweeters or vintage ribbon microphones. When used with a Radial Workhorse power rack, the Omniport jack is configured as an instrument input and activated using a convenient front panel switch. When the Omniport is not connected, the switch acts like a microphone mute.
Designed to deliver quick, dependable results, the PreMax's integrated design eliminates the concern of matching levels between modules. You simply plug in, set the gain, tone shape, and start recording. This makes the PreMax suitable for project studios, post production, broadcast, and live recording.
- Accustate gain control sets the sensitivity and gain at the same time to optimize signal-to-noise at all settings.
- Polarity reverse control used to phase aligns 2 mics, match up with vintage non-AES standard gear, or help eliminate acoustic hot spots when used live.
- Signal and peak LEDs provide visual feedback of signal status.
- 100Hz HPF
- Eliminates low-frequency resonance to clean up tracks and is particularly effective when recording multiple acoustic instruments to avoid the modulation that can occur.
- 3-Band EQ
- Low, mid, and high-frequency shelving controls are used for tone shaping to add clarity, warmth, and character.
- EQ In/Out
- Bypass control lets you compare the tone of the original signal without the EQ and the tone created when the EQ is inserted.
- Input Select
- Toggles between the front panel XLR input and the Omniport 1/4" instrument input for those who are equipped with a Radial power rack.
- Phantom power switch is recessed to prevent accidental turn on. This avoids loud pops that can damage tweeters or DC voltage that can damage older ribbon mics.
- Solid State Electronics
- Combines an application-specific integrated circuit (not a general use op-amp) with ultra-condensed surface-mount technology to pack in the required electronics to fit the compact 500 series format.
- Gold Plated 15-Pin Card Edge
- Double sided to ensure positive connection to the receptacle for improved attachment.
- Dual Potentiometers
- Double up the solder points for greater durability. Steel casing with steel shaft and retention nut will not bend when under stress.
- Double Layer Front Panel
- Steel construction adds rigidity to reduce stress on the PC board.
- Radial Push Switches
- The road proven radial switches feature extra durable metal outer casing and are rated at over 20,000 cycles for added durability.
- Mil-Spec Circuit Board
- Features double sided PCB and full ground plane to assure lowest possible noise and durability for years of trouble-free performance.
- Using the PreMax with a Microphone
- You simply plug your microphone into the XLR input on your 500 series power rack, turn on the phantom power, and the PreMax does the rest for you. All you do is adjust the level, set the EQ, and press record.
- Using the PreMax with an Instrument
- Overdubbing or tracking instruments is quick and efficient. Connect your bass to the Omniport input on the rear of your Radial power rack, and when you are ready, toggle the input from microphone to instrument using the front panel switch.
- Using the PreMax for Broadcast
- The PreMax is your easy solution for broadcast and voice-over in post production. It combines a low-noise front end with a great sounding EQ for quick results. No more messing around with levels, just plug in and get the results you need.