The indigo blue Fujifilm X-A1 Mirrorless Digital Camera is a compact, lightweight camera featuring a 16.3 megapixel APS-C-sized CMOS sensor and EXR Processor II image processor. These two technologies combine to render well-detailed, high-resolution still imagery and full HD video recording at 30 fps with notable low-light sensitivity to an expandable ISO 25600. The EXR Processor II also provides a wealth of speed throughout the camera system, including a start-up time of 0.5 seconds, shutter lag time of 0.05 seconds, shooting interval time of 0.7 seconds, and a maximum continuous shooting rate of 5.6 fps for up to 30 consecutive frames.
The small form-factor of the camera weighs 11.6 oz (without the lens) and measures 1.3"-thick at the thinnest point, making it ideal for everyday carrying. The design of the body integrates a large, bright 3.0" 920k-dot LCD monitor that features a tilting design to better facilitate working from both high and low angles. A built-in flash is also incorporated into the design and has a guide no. of 23' at ISO 200.
Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity enables direct transferring of up to 30 images at a time, as well as movies, between the camera and iOS or Android devices, with the free Fujifilm Camera App installed, for instant sharing online. Wireless sharing is easily accessible via a dedicated Wi-Fi button on the top plate of the camera.
Enabling efficient and intuitive handling, a range of physical controls is integrated into the body's design to make selecting shooting modes and oft-used camera settings more accessible. A mode dial makes changing from shooting modes quick and easy and a Q Menu (Quick Menu) shortcut button is available on the backside of the camera, which allows instant access into a simple-to-navigate menu for adjusting frequently used settings. For enhancing the look and feel of imagery, Film Simulation modes and eight Advanced Filters are available as well as in-camera RAW image processing and a Multiple Exposure mode. The Advanced SR AUTO function can also be used to automatically and intelligently recognize the scene at hand and match the camera's exposure settings to best render the scene clearly and accurately.
Included with the X-A1 is the XC 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS lens; a wide-angle to portrait-length zoom lens that provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 24-76mm. Optical image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake and a high-speed stepping motor provides fast and accurate focusing performance. Three aspherical elements and one extra-low dispersion elements are integrated into the optical construction to minimize chromatic aberrations and improve image sharpness and clarity while a Super EBC coating has been applied to reduce flare and ghosting for greater contrast and color fidelity.
- 16.3MP APS-C CMOS Sensor and EXR Processor II
- A large APS-C-sized 16.3 megapixel CMOS sensor and EXR Processor II work together to produce high-resolution still imagery and video with notable low-light quality and extended sensitivity to ISO 25600. The processor works to provide quick performance throughout the camera, including a top continuous shooting rate of 5.6 fps, start-up time of 0.5 seconds, shutter lag time of 0.05 seconds, and a shooting interval time of 0.7 seconds. Additionally, the sensor lends itself to producing full HD 1080p videos at 30 fps and a built-in stereo microphone is used to record clear audio.
- Camera Design
- The compact and lightweight profile of the X-A1 makes it ideal for everyday use while the intuitive layout, which integrates an array of physical controls, enables efficient handling and control over crucial camera settings. A physical mode dial on the top of the camera, with a secondary command dial on the back, allow for simplified selecting of shooting modes while the Q Menu shortcut button provides direct access to some of the most frequently used camera and exposure settings. Facilitating menu navigation, as well as live view monitoring and image playback is a large, bright 3.0" 920k-dot LCD monitor that utilizes a tilting design to better support working from both high and low angles. Also incorporated into the camera's design are both a pop-up flash and a hot shoe to support the use of external flashes or other shoe-mounted accessories.
- Built-In Wi-Fi Connectivity
- Wireless connectivity is built into the camera and allows for instant sharing of images directly to an Android or iOS mobile device. The Fujifilm Camera App allows you to browse the image contents of your camera from your mobile device and transfer both HD videos and up to 30 photos at a time between devices. The app also enables geotagging of imagery within the camera using locational data from a mobile device, which can then be used to plot your imagery to an interactive map or help in finding a specific image of a place by searching for the location where it was taken. Also available is the Photo Receiver app, which permits sharing of imagery directly from the X-A1 to a friend's mobile device without the need to use passwords or other complications.
- Fujifilm XC 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS Lens
- Included with the X-A1 is the XC 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS lens, which is a standard zoom lens that provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 24-76mm, covering wide-angle to portrait-length perspectives to suit working in a wide array of situations. Benefitting this lens' reach is optical image stabilization, which works to minimize the appearance of camera shake to support working in low-light conditions and with greater zoom magnifications. A high-precision stepping motor is also incorporated into the lens to provide smooth and fast focusing performance that is well-suited to working with moving subjects and for video applications. Three aspherical and one extra-low dispersion element are integrated into the optical design to minimize chromatic aberrations throughout the zoom range as well as contribute to high overall image sharpness and clarity. Super EBC (Electron Beam Coating) has also been applied to individual elements to further reduce ghosting and flare for optimized contrast and color neutrality.
- Film Simulation and Advanced Filters
- Taking advantage of Fujifilm's vast history in traditional film-based photography, the X-A1 integrates several Film Simulation modes to mimic the look and feel of some Fujifilm's classic reversal film types: PROVIA offers natural-looking tones for everyday shooting, VELVIA produces a more dramatic and rich tonality with deeper color saturation, and ASTIA gives less contrast for a softer depiction of skin tones. Additionally, Black & White and Sepia modes are also available for a classic, monochromatic appearance. Eight Advanced Filters are also integrated for further aesthetic enhancement of your photographs: Pop Color, Toy Camera, Miniature, High Key, Low Key, Partial Color, Dynamic Tone, and Soft Focus.
- Other Camera Features
- The Advanced SR AUTO function automatically recognizes the scene type being photographed and then optimizes exposure settings based on 58 recognized scene types to best render the situation.
- In-camera RAW processing lets you record your images in the uncompressed RAW file format and process them prior to computer-based editing procedures. This enables you to modify the exposure, white balance, and other controls directly through the menu interface.
- Multiple exposure mode gives you the ability to overlay subsequently-recorded images in-camera.
- The built-in pop-up flash utilizes Super Intelligent Flash technology, in combination with scene recognition, to automatically control the flash strength to clearly render subjects with reduced highlight clipping.
- Shooting modes, which are easily accessible via the top dial, include Advanced SR AUTO, AUTO, Advanced Mode, Scene Position, Program AE, Custom, Shutter Priority AE, Aperture Priority AE, Manual, Portrait, Sport, and Landscape.
- Scene Position modes include Portrait Enhancer, Night, Night (Tripod), Fireworks, Sunset, Snow, Beach, Party, Flower, and Text.
- Color, Tone, and Sharpness can all be independently adjusted based on personal preferences to fine-tune the appearance of imagery prior to making the exposure.
- Five different noise reduction levels are available to benefit working in a range of lighting conditions. These levels cover prioritizing resolution and crispness versus keeping the noise reduction to a bare minimum depending on the scene type being photographed.
- A 49-point AF matrix blankets a broad area of the scene to provide focusing capabilities that are both fast and accurate. Individual positions and AF frame sizes can also be selected depending on the specific nature of the subject being photographed.
- If working in manual focus, a distance bar is displayed on the LCD monitor, along with a depth of field scale, to aid in acquiring critical focus. Focus peaking is also available highlight lines of contrast to serve as a more objective means for determining focus placement.
- Four different auto bracketing functions are available: Dynamic Range Bracketing captures three images of the same scene with different dynamic range settings (100%, 200%, 400%); Film Simulation Bracketing captures three images of the same scene, each of which with a different chosen Film Simulation effect; AE bracketing in 1/3, 2/3, or 1 EV steps; and ISO bracketing in 1/3, 2/3, or 1 EV steps.