The white-colored A2+ 2.75" Powered Desktop Speakers from Audioengine is a 2.0 speaker system that features a powered and passive speaker. Each speaker incorporates a 2.75" Kevlar woofer and 3/4" silk dome tweeter that can produce up to 30-watts of peak power. With a frequency response of 65 Hz - 22 kHz, the Audioengine A2+ speaker system can handle a wide range of audio material. The speakers also feature magnetically shielded designs to avoid interfering with closely placed video monitors.
The Audioengine A2+ speaker system uses a built-in TI/Burr Brown PCM2704C DAC for high-quality digital to analog conversion. A USB input is onboard for connecting digital devices like MP3 players. The USB port can also provide a high-quality digital connection directly to your computer, and doesn't require software for installation. RCA and 3.5mm inputs are also available for connecting various types of audio sources such as computers and game consoles. USB and 3.5mm audio cables are included with the A2+ speaker system. A variable RCA audio output is also built-in for connecting external components like subwoofers.
The left speaker in the Audioengine A2+ speaker system houses analog the power amplifier, audio connections, volume control, and power supply, while the passive right speaker connects to the left speaker via speaker wire. A 16 AWG speaker wire is included for this connection.
- Power Amplifier
- The amplifiers in the Audioengine speaker system are located in the left speaker. Each subsystem is tuned together for all models, which is designed to provide an efficient system that requires less power than passive speakers and separate amplifiers. Circuit boards for the power and preamp sections are vertically mounted for maximum mechanical shock protection.
- Both drivers are magnetically shielded and allow the user to place the speakers within a few inches of a video monitor. This shielding also offers protection for hard drive-based digital music players.
- Audioengine A2+ speakers use audiophile grade ferro fluid cooled, silk dome tweeters with neodymium magnets. Silk tweeters are engineered to hold up well under high power conditions and the edge-driven design produces a smooth response. The custom woofers are Kevlar woven glass aramid composite with rubber surrounds. Kevlar is a durable material, which means that the woofer retains its shape when being driven at high volume levels. Because the speakers feature robust construction, speaker grills aren't needed.
- To minimize unwanted resonances and distortion, Audioengine cabinets have thick high-resin MDF walls with extensive internal bracing. Heavy internal sound-damping material is used to reduce unwanted sound reflections inside the cabinet. All cabinet edges are rounded which reduces high-frequency diffraction effects on the front baffles. Each cabinet contains tuned, front-port slots. Both speakers are tuned and tested together to operate in pairs.
- Based on Studio Monitor Designs
- Studio monitor speakers are used by producers and engineers in recording and production studios. They are designed with a theoretical flat frequency response which allows the engineer to create a final mix in such a way that the recorded music will sound good on most other speakers. Although Audioengine speakers are not designed to be up-close "nearfield" studio monitors, Audioengine speakers employ similar high-end technology, components, and design philosophy.
- Custom Built
- Audioengine designs its own tweeters, woofers, and many other critical components. Components like toroidal transformers, magnets, and wiring harnesses that are not made in their factory are custom-made to their specifications. The cabinets, drivers, bass port designs, amplifiers, and crossovers are all tuned together for each Audioengine model.
- Desktop computers, laptops, and notebooks
- iDevices and music players
- Internet radio and network music systems
- Flat panel TVs with an analog output
- CD and DVD players
- Videogame consoles
- Digital radio and satellite receivers
- All products with a 3.5mm mini-jack or RCA outputs
- Other Features
- Power-saving idle mode
- Standard 1/4" threaded inserts for wall mounts
- Works with Mac or PC, no software to install