The H4X Medium Format DSLR Camera Body with CR123 Battery Grip from Hasselblad is available as an upgrade for H1, H2 and H2F cameras. Like its predecessors it is a high-performance medium format camera for professional and advanced users with an image format of 56 x 41.5 mm. It is compatible with CF/CFH backs, numerous third party film and digital backs.
True Focus with Absolute Position Lock allows true and fast auto-focusing throughout the image field and compensates with accuracy for focus shift when re-composing. Manual focus override is supported and an optional manual focus indicator in the viewfinder. Single shot and Continuous AF with focus lock are available and the camera also features AF Assist Illumination for working in dark environments. Spot, Center Spot and Center Weighted exposure metering is supported with manual, aperture-priority, shutter speed priority, programmed and programmed variable exposure modes.
The camera offers a wide ISO sensitivity range from 16 to 6400. A built-in flash or external flash compatible with SCA3002 can be used with an automatic TTL-OTF center-weighted system with adjustable output from -3 to +3. For manual flashes, a built-in metering system is available and a standard PC connecter on the camera body is supported. Flash sync speed is available to 1/800th of a second.
The H4X can work tethered to a computer or un-tethered with images stored to Compact Flash memory cards. A dot-matrix LCD monitor is provided on the grip to view camera setting information. An Acute Matte type D focusing screen is supplied and the camera also works with numerous optional focusing screens. The H4X is compatible with all Hasselblad HC and HCD lenses and all C-type lenses from the V system when using an optional CF lens adapter. The number of profile settings has been increased on the H4X to 8 and it also offers more programmable button options compared to previous H-system cameras.
- True Focus & Absolute Position Lock (APL)
- True Focus enables fast and accurate focusing throughout the image field. The Absolute Position Lock (APL) processor forms the foundation of Hasselblad's True Focus feature using modern yaw rate sensor technology to measure angular velocity. The APL processor accurately logs camera movement during any re-composing, then uses these exact measurements to calculate the necessary focus adjustment and programs the lens's focus motor so it can compensate. The APL processor computes the positional algorithms and carries out the required focus corrections at such a rapid speed that no shutter lag occurs.
- Lens Compatibility
- The H4X is compatible with the highly renowned HC/HCD lens line, all with central lens shutters. The built-in central lens shutter allows flash to be used at all shutter speeds down to 1/800s. It also improves image quality by reducing camera vibration. The CF adapter allows the use of classic CF-lenses from the Hasselblad V-camera and the HTS 1.5 tilt/shift adapter delivers an easy to use, portable tilt/ shift solution for 5 HC/HCD lenses ranging from 28mm to 100mm.
- Viewfinder Compatibility
- This H4X comes without a viewfinder. However the H4X is compatible with the HV 90x, HV 90x-II, HVD 90x and the HVM viewfinders. The HV 90x, HV 90x-II and HVD-90x are 90º eye-level finders with built-in flash units and hot she mounts. The HVM is a waist-level viewfinder.
- Advanced Exposure Control
- The exposure can be controlled either by sophisticated exposure automation or with full manual control. Metering options (with the HV 90x-II and HVD 90x) include Spot, Center Spot and Center Weighted. Exposure lock is supported with a separate button on the camera. Exposure modes are Manual, Aperture priority, Shutter speed priority, Programmed and Programmed Variable.
- Flash Metering System
- The built-in flash metering system is designed to be used when working with manually controlled flashes, such as studio flashes.
- Tethered or Un-Tethered Operation
- The H4X provides the ability to combine working tethered and un-tethered to get the most of your camera system both on location and in the studio. When working un-tethered images are saved to Compact Flash memory cards.
- Dot-Matrix LCDs
- The grip LCD and the viewfinder LCD (when applicable) is of dot-matrix type. This means that the camera is able to present clear and easy-to-understand information and messages instead of fixed text and symbols.
- Interchangeable Film Magazines
- The film magazines for the H4X camera feature inserts than can handle both 120 and 220 film. If you use bar-coded film (defined by FUJIFILM) the setting of both film type and ISO value is automatic. Film wind-on and wind-off is also automatic with all films.
- Enhanced Programmability
- The H4X includes 35 functions that can be customized by the user. It features 4 buttons that can be programmed as short cuts to the camera's most used functions.
- 8 Profile Settings
- A profile stores all the settings of the camera and can be recalled with one button. This allows for quick switching to a given mode of photography, it eases set-up time, and perhaps most important, it prevents mistakes from happening. The H4X now has 8 distinct profiles compared to 4 of its predecessors.
- High Power AF illumination
- A stronger AF Illumination light enables more accurate auto focus when shooting in dim light.