The 32GB iPad mini with Retina Display from Apple has a smaller form factor than its big brother, the iPad Air. The iPad mini is just 7.5mm thin and weighs less than 1 pound. Its smaller form factor makes it easier to hold in one hand. The iPad mini comes in a space gray finish.
The 7.9" Retina Display makes its debut on the iPad mini, maintaining its enormous 2048 x 1536 native resolution. At 326 pixels per inch, the Retina Display can show up to 3.1 million pixels at a time. The Retina Display is also a capacitive touchscreen so you'll be able to utilize all the multi-touch gestures of iOS 7.
While the iPad mini may have a smaller form factor than the iPad Air, it still has the same dual-core A7 chip. Apple introduces the 64-bit architecture with the A7 chip, allowing for more robust and powerful apps. In fact, the A7 chip runs four times faster than the previous generation iPad mini. Also, the A7 chip supports OpenGL ES version 3.0 so the iPad mini can enable detailed graphics and visual effects once only possible on desktop computers and game consoles.
The A7 chip is accompanied by the M7 coprocessor, which measures the motion of the iPad mini. By pulling data from the accelerometer, gyroscope and compass, it lightens the load of the A7 chip. This frees up the A7 chip to focus on processing multiple tasks and maintaining fast performance. The iPad mini may have the Retina Display, but it still manages to maintain its 10-hour battery life. That's because the A7 chip isn't just more powerful, it's also more efficient.
The iPad mini comes with iOS 7. Apple refined the typography, redrew every icon around a new grid system, and added a precise color palette for a minimalist design. iOS 7 also introduces features, such as the Control Center. The Control Center can be accessed by swiping up from the bottom of the screen and grants you access to the most common setting options, such as Airplane mode, Wi-Fi, Airplay and even a flashlight. iOS 7 also introduces iTunes Radio (only available in the United States), a music streaming service from Apple. You can build your own stations and listen to your favorite songs. You can also view the history of everything you've heard and added to your Wish List and then download them off iTunes.
With iCloud, you can sync your iPad mini to your other iOS devices and Mac computers. Push photos, download apps and continue from where you left off in iBooks with iCloud. iCloud also offers cloud storage so you can back up your contacts, photos and important documents to Apple's cloud servers. You can restore your iPad mini to a previous state using iCloud.
- Retina Display
- The Retina Display provides 4 times more pixels and 44% greater color saturation than the iPad 2. Within the 7.9" LED-backlit touchscreen, the 2048 x 1536 native resolution render text and images at 326 pixels per inch and a total of over 3.1 million pixels. The display also features a fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating for increased resolution during use
- Dual-Core A7 Chip
- Thanks to the A7 chip, apps run faster on the iPad mini. Games are more responsive and everything you do with the iPad mini feels quicker. It's up to four times quicker than the previous-generation iPad mini. It also supports OpenGL ES version 3.0, enabling detailed graphics and visual effects once only possible on desktop computers and game consoles. And the A7 chip features 64-bit architecture, opening the door for even more robust and powerful apps
- M7 Coprocessor
- The iPad mini was designed to be on the move. That's why the M7 coprocessor measures motion from your iPad mini by pulling data from the accelerometer, gyroscope, and compass. This allows your apps to give you a better experience based on the movement of your iPad mini. It's a task that would normally fall to the A7 chip. But M7 is more efficient at it, which saves on power and opens up the A7 chip to focus on other tasks
- Battery Life
- The iPad mini may be faster and more powerful, but it's not more power hungry. Even though it's four times faster than the previous generation iPad mini, it still gives you the same 10-hour battery life. That's because the A7 chip isn't just more powerful, but utilizes low voltage to be more efficient
- 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi
- With twice the Wi-Fi performance, thanks to two antennas and MIMO (multiple-input multiple-output) technology, the iPad mini can reach download speeds of up to 300 Mbps. With dual-band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) 802.11n Wi-Fi and MIMO, that's double the data rate of the previous-generation iPad mini. So now when you want to download a movie, share photos or documents with AirDrop, or just browse the web, your connection is even faster than before
- FaceTime HD Camera
- Sometimes it's nice to put a face to the conversation. And with FaceTime video calls on the iPad mini, your conversations look better than before. Make a video call over Wi-Fi or cellular and see (or show) every expression on the beautiful display. Now the FaceTime HD camera features a next-generation backside illumination sensor with larger pixels, which brightens up all your FaceTime chats, selfies, and group Photo Booth shots, even in low-light situations
- 5-Megapixel iSight Camera
- The 5-megapixel iSight camera on iPad mini was designed to help you capture all of life's moments at a moment's notice. Use the Retina display as an easy viewfinder to frame the perfect shot. Quickly swipe between capturing stills or 1080p Full HD video. Every time you shoot, the image signal processor in the A7 chip works with the camera to make a ton of adjustments and deliver a great picture or video automatically
- iOS 7
- Apple has refined the typography, redrawn every icon around a new grid system, and added a precise color palette for a minimalist design with iOS 7. iOS 7 improves and adds features to the iPad mini. The Control Center is where you have access to the most common setting options like Airplane Mode, volume, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Camera, AirPlay and more. iOS 7 also introduces AirDrop, where you can share photos, videos, and contacts from any app with a Share button. iOS 7 also introduces iTunes Radio (only available in the US), which lets you build your own stations and listen to your favorite songs. You can also view the history of everything you've heard and added to your Wish List and then download them off iTunes
- iCloud functions as a wireless service for you to keep all of your iOS & Mac devices in sync. You can also backup content to iCloud and restore to a previous backup from iCloud as well
- Siri lets you use your voice to send messages, schedule meetings, check the latest scores, and more. Ask Siri to do things just by talking. Siri understands what you say, knows what you mean and even talks back
- AirPlay functions off of the wireless capabilities of the iPad mini and allows you to seamlessly watch or listen to your content on your HDTV. When connected to the same wireless network, content can be controlled from the iPad mini and ported through or watched on auxiliary devices
- Audio Playback
- Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz
- Audio formats supported: AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), HE-AAC, MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV
- User-configurable maximum volume limit
- Video Formats Supported
- H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format
- Language Support
- English (U.S.), English (UK), Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, Arabic, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Portuguese (Brazil), Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Keyboard & Dictionary Support
- English (U.S.), English (Australian), English (Canadian), English (UK), Chinese - Simplified (Handwriting, Pinyin, Stroke), Chinese - Traditional (Handwriting, Pinyin, Zhuyin, Cangjie, Stroke), French, French (Canadian), French (Switzerland), German (Germany), German (Switzerland), Italian, Japanese (Romaji, Kana), Korean, Spanish, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Cherokee, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Emoji, Estonian, Finnish, Flemish, Greek, Hawaiian, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Portugal), Portuguese (Brazil), Romanian, Russian, Serbian (Cyrillic/Latin), Slovak, Swedish, Thai, Tibetan, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- English (U.S., UK, Canada, Australia), Spanish (U.S., Mexico, Spain), French (France, Canada, Switzerland), German (Germany, Switzerland), Italian (Italy, Switzerland), Japanese, Korean, Mandarin (Mainland China, Taiwan), Cantonese (Hong Kong)
- Viewable Document Types
- .jpg, .tiff, .gif (images); .doc and .docx (Microsoft Word); .htm and .html (web pages); .key (Keynote); .numbers (Numbers); .pages (Pages); .pdf (Preview and Adobe Acrobat); .ppt and .pptx (Microsoft PowerPoint); .txt (text); .rtf (rich text format); .vcf (contact information); .xls and .xlsx (Microsoft Excel)
- VoiceOver screen reader, Guided Access, Switch Control, support for playback of closed-captioned content, AssistiveTouch, full-screen zoom magnification, larger type, bold text, increase contrast, reduce motion, on/off labels, invert colors, left/right volume adjustment
- Built-in Apps
- Safari, Mail, iBooks, Photos, Maps, FaceTime, Newsstand, Messages, iTunes Store, App Store, Calendar, Music, Videos, Siri, Reminders, Contacts, Camera, Notes, Photo Booth, Clock, Game Center
- Free Apps from Apple
Available for free from the App Store:
iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iTunes U, Podcasts, Find My Phone, Find My Friends, Remote, iTunes Trailers