The medium flare Letus AnamorphX Adapter with Built-In Matte Box provides a 1.33 anamorphic squeeze to normal video/photography with a medium level of anamorphic flare. The adapter includes a matte box that attaches using four screws and a top flag for veiling glare control. This adapter paired with your existing non-anamorphic lenses, produces an image with a 2.39 aspect ratio when used on a camera with a 16 x 9 sensor. The adapter works with prime lenses and zoom lenses, and its optics are suitable for productions shooting video at resolutions from HD up to 4K. This AnamorphX adapter provides a medium anamorphic flare effect in addition to expanding the aspect ratio by 1.33x.
The adapter can be used with lenses that feature a front barrel diameter up to 114mm. The AnamorphX incorporates a focusing mechanism/focus ring that, in conjunction with your lens' focus ring, allows you to fine-tune your focus for a sharp image. The focus ring is indexed, which may help save you time resetting the adapter after switching between lenses. It features a front opening of 138mm and includes a matte box that you can remove easily via four Allen screws. Removing the attached matte box allows you to mount available 138mm clip-on matte boxes.
The included Letus Quick Snap Lens Support fits on 15mm LWS rods and is height adjustable, allowing you to support the adapter using available rod support systems. This allows you to use the adapter without clamping it to the front of your lens, which is useful when using lenses that have a rotating front barrel. It also supports the weight of the adapter on the rods, relieving your lens and lens mount from supporting the additional weight of the adapter.
- Anamorphic Effect
- The adapter provides a wide aspect ratio when using spherical lenses, plus a medium anamorphic flare effect associated with anamorphic photography.
- High Quality Optics
- The AnamorphX adapter features high quality optics that are suitable for video productions from HD to 4K. Letus recommends using high quality lenses between the adapter and the camera for highest possible image quality. 4K productions will find that the AnamorphX adapter lends a slightly softer, organic look to the image.
- Supports Most Lenses
You can use this adapter with most lenses and sensor sizes. The following recommendations are meant as guidelines for widest lens that can be used with the adapter only; coverage may vary depending on your specific lens/camera combination.
- Full Frame Sensor - 30mm
- Super35/APS-C (Canon C100/C300) - 18mm
- Micro 4/3 (Blackmagic Cinema Camera, GH2/GH3) - 15mm
- Rod Support or Clip-On
The included Letus Quick snap Lens Support clamps to 15mm LWS rods, and features a support rod that is adjustable both vertically and horizontally. This allows you to support the AnamorphX adapter on rods, and still work with a available cameras that have non standard lens heights.
You can also use the adapter without the support as it clamps to the front of lenses with a 114mm outside barrel diameter. It can work with lenses that feature smaller front diameters by using available adapter rings. Proper use of the clip-on adapter requires that your lens features an internal mechanical design, that allows you to adjust focus/zoom without the front of the lens rotating.
- Critical Focus
The adapter features its own critical focusing mechanism/focus ring with a standard 0.8 mod pitch focus gear. Letus recommends the following procedure for setting focus with the adapter and your lens.
- 1. Point to distant object (infinity) and focus with camera's lens.
- 2. Attach the adapter onto your camera's lens. Dial the adapter toward the far focus setting (right, negative markings) to get the best focus on the object. At this point, you will not likely achieve the sharpest focus, which is okay, just get as close as you can.
- 3. Re-focus with camera's lens; you should now be able to achieve critical focus.
- To focus on a near object (around 5-6 feet). Focus as best as you can with your camera's lens, if you cannot get critical focus with just the camera's lens, dial the adapter toward the near focus slightly to get critical focus.
- Note this marking on the adapter, it is the setting for the Mid to Far setting for your adapter with this lens. You may want to repeat and record this process with all your lenses for quick reference and setup.
- Close-up focus. Once the object is closer than 5-6 feet, you will find that you need to adjust the adapter settings again. Adjust both the camera's lens and the AnamorphX focus.
- Matte Box
- The attached matte box provides protection from flare, and is pre-drilled to accept available accessories such as an eyebrow/top flag and side flags.
- Top Flag
- The included top flag (eyebrow) is hinged to allow you to set the position to block unwanted veiling glare or flares from off camera light sources.