The Satellite S55-A5169 15.6" Notebook Computer from Toshiba features an ice silver finish with a brushed aluminum design. The 15.6" TruBrite LED-backlit display has a 16:9 aspect ratio and a 1366 x 768 native resolution, which is powered by a dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M graphics card with 2GB of DDR3 discrete memory and has native support for 720p HD content. The screen also has a glossy finish for vibrant color.
The system is powered by a quad-core 4th generation Haswell 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7-4700MQ processor. It also has 12GB of 1600 MHz DDR3L RAM, a 1TB 5400rpm hard drive, a SuperMulti DVD burner, a multi-format media card reader, 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, an integrated webcam and microphone. There are also built-in harman/kardon stereo speakers with DTS Studio Sound technology.
Windows 8.1 is the installed operating system. Windows 8.1 improves the user experience of Windows 8 with several additions and changes. The Start button returns, but has two limited core functions. A left click will take you to the redesigned Start screen featuring tiles that update in real-time. A right click brings up an advanced menu where you can access the Device Manager, Control Panel and more. You will also be able to boot directly to the traditional desktop screen instead of the Windows 8.1 Start screen. Windows 8.1 provides a unique user experience that differs from previous versions of Windows.
- Quad-Core 4th-Gen Haswell Intel Core i7 Performance
- The Toshiba S55 houses a 4th-generation Haswell Intel Core i7-4700MQ processor. Its quad cores can reach a stock speed of 2.4 GHz. The processor can also be overclocked up to 3.4 GHz, thanks to Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 technology. With a dedicated 6MB L3 cache, 12GB of 1600 MHz DDR3L RAM and Intel Hyper-Threading technology, you'll be able to experience smooth and seamless multitasking
- 15.6" TruBrite LED-Backlit Display
- The 15.6" TruBrite widescreen display of the Toshiba Satellite S55 features LED backlighting, a 16:9 aspect ratio and a 1366 x 768 native resolution, which can play 720p HD content natively without upscaling. The screen also features a glossy finish for vibrant color. You can also output video to an external display via the HDMI port
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M Graphics
- Using performance efficient NVIDIA Kepler architecture, the dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M graphics card with 2GB of discrete memory provides efficient performance and high quality graphics. The SMS streaming multiprocessor is twice as efficient as the prior generation and the new geometry engine draws triangles twice as fast. The NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M utilizes DirectX with Shader Model 5.0 support designed for ultra high performance in GPU-accelerated tessellation. You won't have to deal with jagged edges and screen tearing because the NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M graphics card provides smooth visual effects and stunning 1080p quality
- Stay Connected
- The Toshiba Satellite S55 can connect to a home or public wireless network via 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi. If you require a more reliable Internet connection, you can utilize the 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet RJ-45 LAN jack
- With Toshiba Resolution+ Upconvert Technology for Media Player, you'll be able to upscale standard definition DVD content to HD quality for sharper picture and vibrant color. Please note that viewing enhancements may vary depending upon content quality and display device capability, functionality and settings
- Eco Utility
- Quickly adjust the settings and power plan of your Toshiba Satellite S55T and monitor your ongoing power usage with just a click
- The Return of the Start Button
- After many requests from Windows users, the Start button makes its triumphant return in Windows 8.1. While it may not be exactly the same as its predecessor in Windows 7, the Start button has two core functions. A left click on the Start button will take you to the Windows 8.1 Start screen featuring live tiles. A right click on the Start button brings up an advanced menu where you can access the Device Manager, Control, Network options and more
- Boot Directly to the Desktop
- Windows 8.1 gives you the choice of booting to the Windows 8 Start screen with live tiles or booting to the familiar desktop screen of Windows 7. Users can also boot directly into an app or app view if they choose to
- To the Cloud
- With Windows 8.1, when signed in using your Microsoft account, you'll have instant access to your personal Start screen, themes, language preferences, browsing history and browser favorites. You can also connect to services such as Microsoft Outlook, Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter and more
- Windows Store
- In the Windows Store, you can search for or browse thousands of apps. Choose from the featured apps or grab one of the most frequently downloaded apps to see what all the hype is all about. You can also see how other people rate apps. For certain apps, you can try it out before you buy it so you can make sure you absolutely want an app before you spend your hard-earned money on it