The 470 to 542 MHz version of the Sony UWP-D16 Integrated Digital Plug-on & Lavalier Combo Wireless Microphone System features an all-metal chassis, an easy to read LCD display, a wide switching RF bandwidth, USB power and charging options, automatic channel scanning, infrared synchronization between transmitter and receiver, Mic/Line switchable inputs on both the bodypack and plug-on transmitter, +48V phantom power from the plug-on transmitter, a true diversity receiver, PLL-synthesized tuning, an output gain control on the receiver for optimizing the audio input level to a camera/camcorder, and digital companding circuitry. The package is suitable for a wide range of wireless applications such as ENG, documentary work, talk shows, conferences, and more.
The system is referred to as integrated digital because the transmitters and receivers utilize DSP for digital companding and expanding of the transmission signal. Performing the companding and expanding processes in the digital domain improves the accuracy and transient response of the received audio.
The camera-mountable receiver features true diversity technology which stabilizes reception and minimizes RF interference by using dual antenna input/reception circuits and selecting the strongest incoming signal. The angle of the antennas is also adjustable to improve reception when the receiver is mounted on top of a camera or camcorder. The system utilizes UHF Phase Locked Loop (PLL) synthesis to lock the phase of the transmission frequency between transmitter and receiver. The receiver can automatically search for an available transmission frequency and link the desired frequency to the transmitter via infrared connection.
A stereo mini-jack output with monitor volume control is featured and both stereo mini and stereo XLR cables are provided for optimizing the audio input into a camera or camcorder. The unit also includes a headphone monitor output for use with cameras and camcorders that don't have a monitor output. An LCD display provides channel and frequency information, battery life, RF-input level, audio-output status and accumulated operating time.
For power, the receiver operates on two AA batteries for up to 6 hours, or on 5 VDC of USB power over a USB micro B cable. The USB connection can also be used to recharge Ni-MH rechargeable batteries within the battery cartridge. The receiver's compact design and included shoe-mount adapter allows easy mounting to most camcorders and interchangeable lens system cameras.
The improved plug-on and bodypack transmitters feature mic- and line-level switches for standard wired microphone- or line-level sources. The plug-on transmitter also features selectable +48V of phantom power for connection to a condenser microphone. Selectable transmission output power provides a choice between 5mW output, which is suitable for simultaneous multi-channel operation, or 30mW output for long distance transmission.
The transmitters can operate for up to 8 hours on two AA-size alkaline batteries, be powered or recharged via USB micro B connections, and feature comprehensive LCD displays.
The system comes with an omnidirectional lavalier microphone, a windscreen for the microphone, a microphone holder clip, two belt clips, a shoe-mount adapter, a 3-pin mini to mini stereo cable, and a 3-pin mini to XLR cable. Optional accessories such as a microphone holder, battery case, and soft case for the receiver are sold separately.
- Digital Companding
- Utilizes analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog converter stages so that the transmission signal can be digitally companded by the transmitter and digitally expanded by the receiver for improved audio transient response
- Automatic Channel Scanning
- Scans for available transmission channels and then syncs the transmitter to the receiver via infrared
- Frequency Coverage
- Provides up to 72 MHz of transmission bandwidth
- UWP Series / WL-800 Series Compatibility
- Enables cross-compatibility between the UWP-D transmitter with a UWP Series or WL-800 Series receiver or UWP Series or WL-800 Series transmitter with a UWP-D receiver
- Headphone Output
- Enables direct monitoring of receiver via headphones, especially useful for cameras that lack a monitor output
- USB Power Options
- Supports USB powering and USB charging of internal Ni-MH rechargeable batteries placed in the battery cartridge
- Output Level Control
- Controls the receiver's output level with ±12 dB adjustments for optimizing the input level into the camera
- Phantom Power on Plug-On Transmitter
- Provides selectable +48V of phantom power for use with condenser microphones
- UHF Phase Locked Loop (PLL) Synthesized Frequencies
- Provides stable transmission and reception by generating a transmission frequency and locking the phase of the transmission signal to the incoming signal of the receiver
- True Diversity Reception
- Utilizes dual antenna reception circuits and selects the stronger incoming signal to reduce drop-outs
- Tone Squelch Circuitry
- Transmits a pilot-tone signal with the audio signal and only outputs the audio signal if the pilot tone is present to reduce RF interference from other sources
- Mic and Line Input Switch
- Enables switching between microphone- and line-level inputs on both the bodypack and plug-on transmitters
- Simultaneous Multi-Channel Operation
- Stores the most stable interference-free transmission frequencies to internal memory for rapid setup and switching between frequency groups
- Selectable RF Output
- The transmitter allows selection between 5mW output power and 30mW output. 5mW is suitable for indoor, simultaneous multi-channel operation while 30mW is intended for outdoor, long-range use
- Visual Display
- Both transmitter and receiver feature a comprehensive LED display providing channel and frequency information, battery life, total usage time and more
- Improved All-Metal Construction
- The transmitters and receiver feature metal construction for durability