The black Xperia ZR C5502 8GB Smartphone from Sony is IP55 and IP58 rated for dust resistance and waterproof protection. With the Xperia ZR, you'll be able to take pictures while fully submerged.
Please note that you must have all the ports on the Xperia ZR firmly closed and covered before placing in water.
The Xperia ZR features a 13.1-megapixel rear camera with the Exmor RS sensor for capturing high-quality photos. The Xperia ZR also supports High Dynamic Range (HDR), which captures the same image in different exposure levels and then fuses them together, resulting in a picture with natural colors. There is also a Superior Auto mode, where the Xperia ZR combines scene recognition with high-performance image processing technology so you'll be able to capture photos with automated optimal settings.
With support for GSM and HSPA+ cellular networks, the Xperia ZR also supports Bluetooth wireless technology and Wi-Fi networks for added connectivity.
The Xperia ZR features a 4.55" capacitive touchscreen that supports multi-touch gestures. Since the screen will see a lot of action, it is coated with a scratch-resistant finish. As for the display itself, it has a HD 1280 x 720 native resolution and a 16:9 aspect ratio, so you'll be able to watch HD 720p content without upscaling or letterboxing. The combination of the 720p resolution and the 4.55" screen provides 323 pixels per inch (ppi) and up to 16.7 million colors for a crystal clear and vibrant display.
Sony also removed a layer of air from the display of the Xperia ZR to bring the touch panel closer to the display. Known as the OptiContrast panel, the screen provides less reflection and clearer viewing, even in bright sunlight. The OptiContrast panel also provides a seamless black surface when the Xperia ZR is turned off. By eliminating the sensor layer and integrating the sensor on the lens increases the responsiveness of the touchscreen.
While the 720p display allows for high-definition video quality, the Xperia ZR also has Sony Mobile BRAVIA Engine 2 technology. Mobile BRAVIA Engine 2 provides an enhanced viewing experience by adding real-time contrast optimization, sharpness enhancement, color management, and noise reduction.
The Xperia ZR also features One-touch functions from Sony with Near Field Communication (NFC) technology. One-touch sharing allows you to share media files with another NFC-enabled smartphone, tablet, or laptop by simply tapping the devices together. One-touch mirroring allows you to view photos and videos on your NFC-enabled Sony BRAVIA HDTV. To activate one-touch mirroring, simply tap your Xperia ZR to the BRAVIA remote. One-touch listening lets you play music wirelessly to Bluetooth speakers while one-touch backup stores all your important information on the Sony Personal Content Station (sold separately).
The Xperia ZR has a quad-core 1.5 GHz Qualcomm Krait processor and 2GB of RAM for fast, reliable performance. The Xperia ZR also has 8GB of internal storage, but it can also be expanded up to 32GB, thanks to the microSDHC media card slot.
The Xperia ZR runs on the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean operating system, which allows for full home screen customization, custom widgets, drag-and-drop controls, and access to thousands of apps and media in the Google Play Store.
- 13.1-Megapixel Camera with Exmor RS for Mobile Image Sensor
The 13.1-megapixel rear camera features an Exmor RS for mobile image sensor. Sony Exmor RS for mobile image sensors' feature a unique stacked structure that allows for even more light gathering ability then even back-side illuminated image sensors, leading to less noise and better low light ability in a more compact size
The Xperia ZR also features a 16x digital zoom and High Dynamic Range (HDR) imaging technology in order to capture clear photos against a strong backlight. With Superior Auto mode, the Xperia ZR combines scene recognition with high quality and high performance image processing technology to capture photos with automated optimal settings. With HDR, the Xperia ZR captures the same image at different exposure levels and layers them to create one optimized photo. The Xperia ZR also has a front-facing camera for video chatting. Other features include:
- Auto Focus
- Burst Mode
- Face Detection
- Face Recognition
- Flash/pulsed LED
- Flash/photo Light
- HD Video Recording (720p)
- Object Tracking
- Picture Effects
- Red-eye Reduction
- Scene Recognition
- Send-to-web Option
- Smile Shutter
- Sweep Panorama
- Touch Capture
- Touch Focus
- White Balance
- GSM / 3.5G HSPA+ Wireless Connectivity
The Xperia ZR is designed to work on select GSM networks and is 3.5G HSPA+ capable. HSPA+ is a cellular network data protocol cable of data speeds much faster than standard 3G, in some cases HSPA+ comes close to 4G LTE speeds, but is more widely available then LTE because it uses 3G networks. With an HSPA+ connection this phone will have no problem streaming video, downloading apps, uploading photos, or pretty much anything else that requires a high speed data connection. The phone is also backwards compatible with 2G data networks for those times when you can't get an HSPA+ signal. In addition to cellular wireless this phone also features Near Field Communication (NFC), Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi connectivity.
Please note that the Xperia ZR is not compatible with all cellular networks. Please make sure your provider uses a frequency or band that this phone supports. You can check which bands this phone works with in the Specifications.
- Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
- The Xperia ZR features the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean operating system. With a user-friendly interface, and is designed for intuitive multi-touch navigation. You can customize your home screen with frequently used apps and widgets, as well as create folders and shortcuts to often used items like system settings and bookmarked webpages. With the Android operating system, you will also have access to the Google Play Store, which offers a vast library of apps, games, books, music, movies, and more. And with native mass storage support, you can have your Android device interface with a computer for file management and content sharing.
- Waterproof Design
- With its IP55 and IP58 ratings, the Xperia ZR is both waterproof and dust-resistant. This means you'll be able to take photos and videos from up to 5 feet (1.5 m) underwater for up to 30 minutes at a time. Inside the waterproof design is a quad-core 1.5 GHz Qualcomm processor and 2GB of RAM for high performance. There is also 8GB of internal storage, but it can be expanded up to 32GB via the microSDHC card slot. Please note that you must have all the ports on the Xperia ZR firmly closed and covered before placing in water.
- 4.55" TFT LCD Display
- The Xperia ZR has a 4.55" capacitive touchscreen capable of supporting multi-touch gestures. To ensure the screen holds up to constant use, the display is also scratch-resistant. With a HD 1280 x 720 native resolution and a 16:9 aspect ratio, the Xperia ZR provides 323 pixels per inch (ppi) and up to 16.7 million colors for a clear, vibrant display. The Xperia ZR features Sony Mobile BRAVIA Engine 2 technology, which delivers a high quality viewing experience by adding real-time contrast optimization, sharpness enhancement, color management, and noise reduction.
- With aGPS technology, the Xperia ZR can provide accurate location-based navigation. Additionally, you'll also be able to use third-party apps, such as Google Maps, in order to get directions via car or public transportation as well as view locations in Street View.
- Get the xLoud experience with the Xperia ZR and its audio filter technology. With playback support for MP3, 3GPP, MP4, SMF, WAV, OTA, and OGG audio formats, the Xperia ZR enhances your listening experience with Sony ClearAudio+ technology. If you hear a song you like, but don't know the name or who sings it, you can use the Sony TrackID music recognition app to find out. You'll also be able to get album art for your newly discovered band or musician.
- Sony One-Touch
- Sony features one-touch functions using Near Field Communication (NFC) technology with the Xperia ZR. NFC allows the Xperia ZR to share files with another NFC-enabled device with a single tap. One-touch sharing is the primary function of NFC, which allows you to share music, photos, and videos with another NFC-enabled smartphone, tablet, or laptop by simply tapping the two devices together. There are other functions of NFC that Sony takes advantage of, such as one-touch mirroring, which allows you to see photos from your Xperia ZR on a Sony NFC-enabled BRAVIA HDTV by simply tapping the Xperia ZR to the BRAVIA remote. One-touch listening allows you play music from your Xperia ZR to a pair of NFC-enabled Bluetooth wireless speakers. One-touch backup works in conjunction with the Sony Personal Content Station, which is wireless hub for photos and videos sold separately by Sony.