The Comodo Orbit Handheld Stabilization Rig is a mechanically driven, twin grip gimbal stabilization system. Designed to support HDSLR/mirrorless cameras and small to medium sized camcorders weighing up to 11 pounds, the Orbit allows the camera operator to move freely around the subject, capturing entire scenes in a single take with just one camera. It is easy to balance and operate, requiring no additional weights, motors, or batteries. This makes the Orbit ideal for filmmakers of all levels to capture fluid and steady footage without a steep learning curve or long set-up times.
The Orbit utilizes two gimbal handgrips to isolate the camera from bumps and shakes, helping the camera to seemingly float in space. With a twin grip design, the stabilizer has the unique ability to be passed from one operator to another, allowing it to travel through windows or other tight spaces. Having two handgrips also reduces operator fatigue, letting you shoot longer than with single-handed stabilizers.
The camera attaches to the mounting platform via the included 1/4"-20 screw, which is conveniently stored on the unit in one of the many threaded accessory holes. The mounting plate is then attached to support arm. Balancing the camera is all about adjusting its horizontal and vertical position. The goal is to have it balanced along the pivot axis - the horizontal plane extending between the two gimbals - and to have its weight centered on the mounting plate so that it doesn't want to lean forwards or backwards.
Balancing adjustments are made using the vertical adjustment knob on the top of the unit and the horizontal adjustment knob on the back of the camera mounting platform. For larger camcorders, you may need to use the included extension arms to properly align it on the pivot axis. The Orbit comes with three pairs of extension arms, approximately 1", 2", and 3" in size, which can be used individually or added together to create longer lengths. A carrying case is included to store and protect the Orbit.
- Dual Gimbal Handgrips
- The Orbit is built around two advanced gimbals atop each handgrip, which provide fluid movement along multiple axes. Each gimbal independently moves to give let the camera seemingly float through the air. Having two handgrips also allows you to change directions quickly and smoothly, as well as reduce operator fatigue common to single-handed stabilizers.
- Tilt Control
- Unlike other stabilizers which keep the camera level at all times, the Orbit lets you adjust the tilt of the camera using your thumbs. Easily tilt the camera up or down while operating, letting you capturing low-angle and high-angle shots, or even mimic the effect of jib or crane-style shots.
- Multi-Operator Capable
- Passing the camera through a window, over an obstacle, or under a subject can often require highly trained camera operators with extensive amounts of equipment. The twin-style grips on the Orbit give filmmakers of all levels the ability to easily pass the rig from one operator to the next without upsetting the fluidity of the shot.
- Additional Features
- 11 pound load capacity
- 3/8"-16 and 1/4"-20 threaded accessory holes along the adjustable arm
- 1", 2", and 3" extension arms
- Carrying case included