The black Xperia Z1 C6902 16GB Smartphone from Sony is IP55 and IP58 rated for dust resistance and waterproof protection. With the Xperia Z1, you'll be able to take pictures while fully submerged.
Please note that you must have all the ports on the Xperia Z1 firmly closed and covered before placing in water.
The Xperia Z1 features a high 20.7-megapixel rear camera with an Exmor RS sensor. The Xperia Z1 also utilizes a Sony G Lens and the intelligent BIONZ mobile image processing engine for capturing high quality photos. The Xperia Z1 also supports High Dynamic Range (HDR), which captures the same image in different exposure levels and then fuses them together, resulting in a picture with natural colors. There is also a Superior Auto mode, where the Xperia Z1 combines scene recognition with high performance image processing technology so you'll be able to capture photos with automated optimal settings.
With support for GSM cellular networks, the Xperia Z1 also supports Bluetooth wireless technology and Wi-Fi networks for added connectivity.
The Xperia Z1 features a 5" capacitive touchscreen that supports multi-touch gestures. As for the TRILUMINOS display itself, it has a Full HD 1920 x 1080 native resolution and a 16:9 aspect ratio, so you'll be able to watch Full HD 1080p content without upscaling or letterboxing. The combination of the 1080p resolution and the 5" screen lead to a 441 pixels per inch (ppi) pixel density, meaning you'll need a magnifying glass to distinguish the individual pixels.
The Xperia Z1 also features One-touch functions from Sony with Near Field Communication (NFC) technology. One-touch sharing allows you to share media files with another NFC-enabled smartphone, tablet, or laptop by simply tapping the devices together. One-touch mirroring allows you to view photos and videos on your NFC-enabled Sony BRAVIA HDTV. To activate one-touch mirroring, simply tap your Xperia Z1 to the BRAVIA remote. One-touch listening lets you play music wirelessly to Bluetooth speakers while one-touch backup stores all your important information on the Sony Personal Content Station (sold separately).
The Xperia Z1 has a quad-core 2.2 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor and 2GB of RAM for fast, reliable performance. The Xperia Z1 also has 16GB of internal storage, but it can also be expanded up to 64GB, thanks to the microSDXC media card slot.
The Xperia Z1 runs on the Android 4.2 Jelly Bean operating system, which allows for full home screen customization, custom widgets, drag-and-drop controls, and access to thousands of apps and media in the Google Play Store.
- 20.7-Megapixel Camera with Exmor RS for Mobile Image Sensor
Built with the same components found in Sony's compact digital cameras, the Xperia Z1 offers a rear camera with a large 1/2.3" 20.7 megapixel Exmor RS Sensor for high definition image capturing. Sony Exmor RS for Mobile image sensors' feature a unique stacked structure that allows for even more light gathering ability then even back-side illuminated image sensors, leading to less noise and better low light ability in a more compact size. In front of the sensor is a bright 27mm equivalent f/2.0 Sony G Lens that also helps produce sharp pictures even in low light. The Xperia Z1 also features the Sony BIONZ for mobile image processor which helps eliminate noise while preserving detail even at ISO sensitivities up to 6400. Video can also be recorded in full HD 1080p at 30 fps.
The high resolution imager and high performance BIONZ processor also allow for a host of camera features, such as an x8 digital zoom as well as digital image stabilization when shooting video. Other notable camera features include:
- auto focus
- burst mode
- face detection
- pulsed LED flash
- photo light
- image stabilizer
- object tracking
- picture effect
- quick launch
- red-eye reduction
- scene recognition
- send-to-web option
- Smile Shutter
- touch capture
- touch focus
- white balance
- GSM / 3.5G HSPA+ Wireless Connectivity
The Xperia Z1 is designed to work on select GSM networks and is 3.5G HSPA+ capable. HSPA+ is a cellular network data protocol cable of data speeds much faster than standard 3G, in some cases HSPA+ comes close to 4G LTE speeds, but is more widely available then LTE because it uses 3G networks. With an HSPA+ connection this phone will have no problem streaming video, downloading apps, uploading photos, or pretty much anything else that requires a high speed data connection. The phone is also backwards compatible with 2G data networks for those times when you can't get an HSPA+ signal. In addition to cellular wireless this phone also features Near Field Communication (NFC), Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi connectivity.
Please note that the Xperia Z1 is not compatible with all cellular networks. Be sure to check to make sure your cellular service provider uses a frequency or band this phone supports. You can check what bands the Xperia Z1 works with in the specs.
- Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
- The Xperia Z1 features the Android 4.2 Jelly Bean operating system. With a user-friendly interface, the Xperia Z1 is designed for intuitive multi-touch navigation. You can customize your home screen with frequently used apps and widgets, as well as create folders and shortcuts to often used items like system settings and bookmarked webpages. With the Android operating system, you will also have access to the Google Play Store, which offers a vast library of apps, games, books, music, movies, and more. And with native mass storage support, you can have your Android device interface with a computer for file management and content sharing.
- Waterproof Design
- With its IP55 and IP58 ratings, the Xperia Z1 is both waterproof and dust-resistant. This means you'll be able to take photos and videos from up to 5 feet (1.5 m) underwater for up to 30 minutes at a time. Inside the waterproof design is a quad-core 2.2 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor and 2GB of RAM for high performance. There is also 16GB of internal storage, but it can be expanded up to 64GB via the microSDXC card slot. Please note that you must have all the ports on the Xperia Z1 firmly closed and covered before placing in water.
- 5" TRILUMINOS Capacitive Touchscreen Display
- Built with optimized Sony BRAVIA technology for smartphones, the Xperia Z1 features a 5" Full HD TRIMLUMINOS display for mobile. The display is also a capacitive touchscreen so it supports multi-touch gestures for easy navigation. With a 1920 x 1080 native resolution and a 16:9 aspect ratio, the Xperia Z1 can play back Full HD 1080p content without upscaling or letterboxing. The screen has a wide color palette for vivid and vibrant color. With Sony's exclusive X-Reality for mobile picture engine, the Xperia Z1 analyzes and processes everything you watch, including HD movies, YouTube streaming videos, and photos, in order to deliver clean and clear visual quality. Intelligent Super Resolution technology reproduces lacking pixels for clear video quality while the progressive scan display and ultra-high 441 ppi (pixel per inch) pixel density creates an enhance viewing experience.
- With aGPS technology, the Xperia Z1 can provide accurate location-based navigation. Additionally, you'll also be able to use third-party apps, such as Google Maps, in order to get directions via car or public transportation as well as view locations in Street View.
- Get the xLoud experience with the Xperia Z1 and its audio filter technology. With playback support for MP3, 3GPP, MP4, SMF, WAV, OTA, and OGG audio formats, the Xperia Z1 enhances your listening experience with Sony ClearAudio+ technology. If you hear a song you like, but don't know the name or who sings it, you can use the Sony TrackID music recognition app to find out. You'll also be able to get album art for your newly discovered band or musician. The Xperia Z1 also has a FM radio with RDS built-in so you'll be able to catch your favorite stations while on the go.
- Sony One-Touch
- Sony features one-touch functions using Near Field Communication (NFC) technology with the Xperia Z1. NFC allows the Xperia Z1 to share files with another NFC-enabled device with a single tap. One-touch sharing is the primary function of NFC, which allows you to share music, photos, and videos with another NFC-enabled smartphone, tablet, or laptop by simply tapping the two devices together. Another function of NFC that Sony takes advantage of is one-touch mirroring, which allows you to see photos from your Xperia Z1 on a Sony NFC-enabled BRAVIA HDTV. Simply tapping the Xperia Z1 to the BRAVIA remote. One-touch listening allows you play music from your Xperia Z1 to a pair of NFC-enabled Bluetooth wireless speakers. One-touch backup works in conjunction with the Sony Personal Content Station, which is wireless hub for photos and videos sold separately by Sony.
- Sony Battery STAMINA Mode
- Improve the standby time on the Xperia Z1 with Battery STAMINA Mode. As an intelligent battery management system, the Xperia Z1 will shut down battery-draining apps running in the background as soon as the screen turns off. When you wake the Xperia Z1 back up, the apps are automatically started back up. If you're worried about missing notifications from your email or social media networks, the Battery STAMINA Mode allows you to customize which apps you want to stay active even when the screen is off.