The N550JK-DS71T 15.6" Multi-Touch Notebook Computer from ASUS has a 15.6" widescreen IPS display that is backlit with LED lamps, which brighten faster, use less power and provide better picture quality than their CCFL counterparts. The screen is also a capacitive touchscreen so you'll be able utilize all the multi-touch gestures incorporated into Windows 8. The screen has a true 16:9 aspect ratio, which is also the standard of HDTVs. The Full HD 1920 x 1080 native resolution is supported by an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M with 2GB of DDR3 discrete memory.
The system is powered by a quad-core 4th generation Haswell 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7-4700HQ processor. It also has 8GB of DDR3L RAM, a 1TB 5400 rpm hard drive, a SuperMulti DVD burner, a multi-format media card reader, 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, an integrated webcam, and microphone. There are also built-in Bang & Olufsen ICEpower speakers with SonicMaster technology. An ASUS subwoofer is also included.
Windows 8.1 is the installed operating system. Windows 8.1 improves the user experience of Windows 8 with several additions and changes. The Start button returns, but has two limited core functions. A left click takes you to the redesigned Start screen featuring tiles that update in real-time. A right click brings up an advanced menu where you can access the Device Manager, Control Panel and more. You will also be able to boot directly to the traditional desktop screen instead of the Windows 8.1 Start screen. Windows 8.1 provides a unique user experience that differs from previous versions of Windows.
- Quad-Core 4th-Gen Haswell Intel Core i7 Performance
- The N550JK houses a 4th generation Haswell Intel Core i7-4700HQ processor. Its quad cores have a stock speed of 2.4 GHz. The processor can also be overclocked up to 3.4 GHz, thanks to Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 technology. With a dedicated 6MB L3 cache, 8GB of DDR3L RAM, and Intel Hyper-Threading technology, you'll be able to game as well as multitask smoothly and efficiently.
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M Graphics
- Housing the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M graphics card with 2GB of DDR3 discrete memory, the N550JK is definitely gamer-grade and enthusiast-approved. With DirectX 11.1 compatibility, the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M provides all the power needed to make PC games look and perform great. With a 60% performance increase over the previous generation GPUs, the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M GPU supports enhanced anti-aliasing to sharpen textures. Frame rates can improve without compromising performance.
- 15.6" IPS LED-Backlit Touchscreen
- The N550JK features a 15.6" LED-backlit display. Its Full HD 1920 x 1080 native resolution provides sharp text, detailed picture quality and vibrant color. The display also has an in-plane switching (IPS) panel, which provides uniform color and wider viewing angles. The screen is also a touchscreen so you'll be able utilize all the multi-touch gestures incorporated into Windows 8.1. Since the screen has a 16:9 aspect ratio, you'll be able to play Full HD 1080p video content natively. You can also output video to an external display via the HDMI port or the Mini DisplayPort.
- Intel Dual-Band 802.11ac Wi-Fi
- Featuring Intel dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi, the N550JK delivers high performance, broader coverage, longer battery life, and fast wireless speeds. The N550JK also comes with Bluetooth 4.0 technology so you'll be able to connect wirelessly to Bluetooth-compatible peripherals and accessories.
- Bang & Olusfen ICEpower with SonicMaster Technology
- The built-in stereo speakers of the N550JK are powered by Bang & Olusfen ICEpower and features ASUS SonicMaster audio technology. The sound quality is boosted even more with the included ASUS subwoofer.
- SuperMulti DVD Burner
- The N550JK features a SuperMulti DVD burner, which allows you to read and write your media files onto CDs and DVDs.
- ASUS WebStorage
- The N550JK comes with 32GB of free ASUS WebStorage for three years. With ASUS WebStorage, you'll be able to save music, photos and documents to the cloud and access them from any device. You'll be connecting to ASUS' secured network so all your files will be safe.
- The Return of the Start Button
- After many requests from Windows users, the Start button makes its triumphant return in Windows 8.1. While it may not be exactly the same as its predecessor in Windows 7, the Start button has two core functions. A left click on the Start button will take you to the Windows 8.1 Start screen featuring live tiles. A right click on the Start button brings up an advanced menu where you can access the Device Manager, Control, Network options and more.
- Boot Directly to the Desktop
- Windows 8.1 gives you the choice of booting to the Windows 8.1 Start screen with live tiles or booting to the familiar desktop screen of Windows 7. Users can also boot directly into an app or app view if they choose to.
- Seamless Integration of Multi-Touch Gestures
- Windows 8.1 supports multi-touch gestures. Now, you can use your keyboard, mouse or the touchpad using simple gestures. Whether you're browsing apps, reading a book or typing on the go with touch, you'll be able to seamlessly switch between all three interactive components. With the touchpad, Windows 8.1 allows you to use multi-touch gestures, such as swipe, drag, tap, slide, pinch-to-zoom, and more.
- To the Cloud
- With Windows 8.1, when signed in using your Microsoft account, you'll have instant access to your personal Start screen, themes, language preferences, browsing history, and browser favorites. You can also connect to services such as Microsoft Outlook, Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, and more.
- Windows Store
- In the Windows Store, you can search for or browse thousands of apps. Choose from the featured apps or grab one of the most frequently downloaded apps to see what all the hype is all about. You can also see how other people rate apps. For certain apps, you can try it out before you buy it, so you can make sure you absolutely want an app before you spend your hard-earned money on it.