The DVD version of Topaz B&W Effects Plug-In from Topaz Labs LLC is designed to expedite and enhance the entire process of converting an image to black and white. A complete range of controls for maintaining high image quality is presented, with the ability to quickly and easily adjust the tonal and contrast ranges, apply tint colors, and utilize other process-inspired effects for simulating the look of traditional black and white photographs.
The intuitively-designed interface permits the use of hundreds of different one-click effects to imagery as well as the ability to customize existing presets, or design your own, which can be saved for later use. An efficient system of adjustment sliders permit fine-tuning over chosen effects' appearances and an integrated Zone System view allows proper placement of tonal values for an expanded dynamic range. Benefitting all of the creative control offered is an enhanced processing engine, which expedites previewing and applying the effects to imagery.
This plug-in is not a standalone program and requires a compatible host program for use. Compatible hosts include: Adobe Photoshop CC, Photoshop (non-CC), Photoshop Elements, Photoshop Lightroom, Apple Aperture, iPhoto, Corel PaintShop Pro, PhotoImpact, Serif PhotoPlus, Topaz photoFXlab, and IrfanView.
- Tonal contrast is a core feature of the plug-in and helps to produce blacker blacks and whiter whites, with an extensive range of mid-tones.
- To give images a more authentic or nostalgic appearance, popular film grain styles can be applied to images to simulate the look of scanned film types.
- Artistic styles, vignetting, and border effects can be added to imagery to further refine the overall appearance.
Over 200 effects from eight different collections can be applied when converting an image from color to black and white, and include:
- Traditional, for classically-styled black and white effects
- Toned, for adding differently colored tones or tints to images like copper, gold, selenium, sepia, and antique
- Stylized, which combines traditional black and white images with creative effects like diffusion, cartoon, paint, multi-tone, and more
- Cyanotype, which mimics the cyanotype printing process to give a rich blue hue to images
- Albumen, for adding a range of traditional colorings to images, from purple to chocolate brown, to simulate the look of albumen printing techniques
- Platinum, which gives warm blacks and silvery whites with an especially notable tonal range
- Opalotype, which is reminiscent of printing onto translucent white sheets of glass and then hand-tinting or coloring the imagery
- Van Dyke Brown, which is characterized by sepia and brown print tonalities with the ability to vary hue and color through different toning options