The Nikon 1 V3 Mirrorless Digital Camera is a compact, advanced camera featuring a CX-format 18.4MP CMOS sensor and EXPEED 4A image processor to produce high-resolution stills and full HD movies with notable sensitivity to ISO 12800. The combination of these two technologies also affords fast performance throughout the camera, including a full-resolution continuous shooting rate of 20 fps with full-time autofocus and a 120 fps movie frame rate for recording slow motion sequences. Complementing the imaging assets is an equally deft Hybrid AF System, which combines both phase- and contrast-detection focusing methods to deliver AF performance that is both quick and precise.
In regard to handling the camera, a large 3.0" 1,037k-dot tilting touchscreen monitor is available for intuitive navigation about the camera settings as well as easier visibility from high and low working angles. The touchscreen operation provides an efficient means for navigating the menu system as well as for utilizing the built-in Wi-Fi connectivity for instant image transferring to a linked mobile device. An auxiliary electronic viewfinder is also included for clear, stable eye-level monitoring. A secondary grip is also included to improve handling during shooting.
Also included with the camera body is the sleek 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM lens, which provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 27-81mm. This wide-angle to short telephoto lens features a Power-Drive zoom mechanism, for quick, smooth control, and VR image stabilization to suppress the effects of camera shake.
- 18.4MP CMOS Sensor and EXPEED 4A Image Processor
- A CX-format 18.4MP CMOS sensor and EXPEED 4A image processor work together to produce high-resolution still imagery and full HD 1080p video recording with notable low-light sensitivity to ISO 12800. These two technologies also work together to enable a wealth of speed throughout the camera system, benefitting the continuous shooting, movie recording, and autofocus systems. Furthermore, the sensor's design also omits the traditional optical low-pass filter to enhance overall image sharpness and resolution.
- Hybrid AF System
- Employing both contrast- and phase-detection focusing methods, the 1 V3 features an all-around autofocusing system that is fast, precise, and controllable. When working with fast-paced, moving subject matter, phase-detection AF excels in its ability to quickly acquire focus utilizing a 105-point array that covers a broad range of the image frame. In difficult lighting conditions, the contrast-detection method is the chosen focusing system and uses 171 points across the entire frame to ensure critical sharpness. The advanced hybrid system oscillates between these two methods depending on the detected scene type in order to continuously produce crisp imagery regardless of the lighting or subject matter.
- High-Speed Continuous Shooting
- High-speed continuous shooting is benefitted by both the processing power as well as the phase-detection focusing method to support full-resolution recording of up to 20 fps with full-time focusing to maintain consistent sharpness. With the focus position fixed after the first recorded frame, continuous shooting up to an impressive 60 fps is possible in order to clearly record and freeze even the fastest movements.
- Full HD Movie Recording
- Full HD 1080p video recording is supported at 60 fps with the ability to also record at 120 fps at 1280 x 720 for slow motion sequences. Clear audio is recorded via an on-board stereo microphone and full-resolution still images can be simultaneously recorded while capturing video. Additionally, Movie e-VR image stabilization is available to help minimize the appearance of camera shake that is especially prevalent when recording handheld.
- Built-In Wi-Fi Connectivity
Built-in Wi-Fi enables you to instantly share imagery from the 1 V3 to your linked iOS or Android mobile device for instant sharing via email, text message, or to social media sites. Furthermore, this connectivity enables the use of your mobile device as a remote camera control for monitoring and releasing the shutter from a distance.
- Standards: IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g
- Communications protocols: IEEE 802.11b (DSSS/CCK), IEEE 802.11g (OFDM)
- Operating frequency: 2412-2462 MHz (channels 1-11)
- Range (line of site): Approximately 32.8' / 10m (with not interference)
- Data rate: 54 Mbps (maximum logical rate according to IEEE standard)
- Security: Authentication - Open system, WPA2-PSK; Encryption - AES
- Wireless setup: Supports WPS
- Access protocol: Infrastructure
- Body Design
Integrated within the compact, streamlined design of the 1 V3 is a slim, 4mm-thick 3.0" 1,037k-dot tilting touchscreen display that affords intuitive menu navigation as well as the ability to work from both high and low angles. Its tilting design can be angled down approximately 87° for high-angle shooting, and up to approximately 170° for low-angle shooting. Additionally, menu playback and navigation buttons are located on the tilting panel to provide more efficient control when working at different angles.
If preferring a more DSLR-like configuration, the DF-N1000 Electronic Viewfinder and GR-N1010 Grip are also included. The electronic viewfinder permits clear eye-level monitoring while the grip affords a more comfortable, ergonomic means for working with the camera.
- 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM Lens
- Included with the camera body is the versatile 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM lens; a wide-angle to portrait-length zoom providing a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 27-81mm. The Power-Drive zoom mechanism affords smooth and precise control over the zoom placement, making it ideal for use when recording videos. Built-in VR image stabilization works to minimize the appearance of camera shake to benefit working with longer shutter speeds. Additionally, the lens' compact form factor is complemented by a built-in lens cover, alleviating the need for a lens cap.
- Other Camera Features
- A virtual horizon function can be displayed on the rear monitor or in the electronic viewfinder, and is capable of detecting both roll (left or right camera tilt) and pitch (forward or backward camera tilt) to aid in more precise compositions.
- When viewing imagery on the rear LCD, the Highlights feature can be used to detect highlight areas of overexposure.
- A noise reduction function is available, which automatically records sequential frames at lower sensitivities and combines them to realize greater clarity with minimal noise.
- Both main command and sub-command dials, as well as two function buttons, are incorporated into the body's design to offer more intuitive, easily accessible control over camera settings. When the accessory grip is used, a third customizable function button is also available. Each of the function buttons can be set to control exposure compensation, Picture Control, white balance, AF-area mode, metering, ISO sensitivity, or serve as the movie-record button.
- Picture Control modes allow you to set predefined looks to imagery in-camera, and include Landscape, Monochrome, Neutral, Portrait, Standard, Vivid, and user-customizable settings.
- Shooting modes: Auto; Creative - Creative Palette, HDR, Easy Panorama, Soft, Miniature Effect, Selective Color, Cross Process, and Toy Camera Effect; Best Moment Capture (Active Selection, Slow View and Smart Photo Selector); Advanced movie (HD movie, slow motion, jump cut, fast motion and 4-second movie), Motion Snapshot.
- Language support: Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Marathi, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese (European and Brazilian), Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese.