The Grip Book: The Studio Grip's Essential Guide, 5th Edition from Focal Press provides you with the information needed to learn the essential skills of a professional grip on a movie or television set. Discover vital insider tips ranging from how to operating rigging and lighting equipment to performing difficult camera mounts on aircraft, boats, cars, and trains.
In the book, Hollywood grip Michael G. Uva teaches you to install, set up, maintain, and ensure the safety of all equipment on a set, such as C-stands, cameras, and any specialty gear needed for a shoot. Guidelines for on-set etiquette and how to succeed as a technical crew member will help jump-start your career and prepare you to be a valuable asset on any film or television crew.
Whether you are a professional grip looking to boost your skills or an aspiring one just beginning to learn the trade, the time-tested tips and techniques for smooth and safe operation on set make this new edition an indispensable reference guide.
The newly enhanced edition has been updated to include:
- A 4-color insert covering greenscreen setup
- Technical expertise on maintaining the latest and greatest filmmaking equipment
- Engaging how-to videos on the companion website, which demonstrate techniques described in the book
- A completely new test section with over one hundred questions and answers, allowing you to quiz yourself on the techniques and concepts you've just read
- Guidelines on what a grip has to be physically able to perform in their day-to-day duties
- A European-specific appendix that features a table of European grip terms and their American equivalents
- The Big Break; Essential Equipment; Expendables; Knots; Basic Tool Descriptions; Filters and Gels; Techniques for Mounting the Camera; Cables, Slings, and Hardware; Lifts; Cranes, Jibs, Arms, Dollies, and Heads; Cranes Mounted on Wheeled Bases; Lenny Arms; Cablecam; Dollies; Precision Cadillac Track and Chapman Lencin; Fluid and Remote Heads; General Tricks of the Trade; The Rental House; Field Operation
- Author Bio
- Michael G. Uva is a key grip in Hollywood, with over 32 years of experience in film, TV, movies, and commercials. Credits include films such as Easy A, Kalifornia, and Iron Eagle, and shows such as The League, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Bones. He has taught at UCLA's extension program, the Phoenix, Denver, New Mexico, Cuyahoga College Cleveland, and Bakersfield Film Commissions, as well as for the Hollywood CPR Program at West Los Angeles College.