The Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR Lens is an advanced telephoto lens featuring a bright, fast f/2.8 maximum aperture to benefit its use in difficult lighting conditions. The lens construction incorporates two fluorite elements and two ED (extra-low dispersion) elements, which help to minimize the overall lens weight and significantly reduce chromatic aberrations throughout the aperture range. Also improving image quality, a Nano Crystal Coat has been applied to lens elements to minimize ghosting and lens flare for maintained image contrast, clarity, and color neutrality. Protecting the advanced optical design is a front fluorine-coated meniscus glass element that, when paired with the weather-resistant magnesium alloy barrel, supports working in inclement conditions.
A Silent Wave Motor AF system produces fast, near-silent focusing performance that suits both stills shooting and movie recording which can instantly be manually overridden by simply turning the manual focus ring. Further contributing to photographing in fast-paced situations and difficult lighting, VR (Vibration Reduction) image stabilization compensates for the effects of camera shake by up to four shutter speed steps. Additionally, an electromagnetic aperture mechanism is integrated into the lens design to provide greater exposure control stability that is especially beneficial when working with faster continuous shooting rates.
- Fast f/2.8 maximum aperture is well-suited to working in difficult lighting conditions and also lends itself to precise focus control for shallow depth of field imagery.
- Two fluorite and two ED lens elements work to reduce chromatic aberrations; improve overall image sharpness, clarity, and color fidelity; and help to minimize the overall weight of the lens.
- Vibration Reduction image stabilization helps to reduce the appearance of camera shake for up to four shutter speed stops, benefitting this lens' use in low-light conditions. Additionally, a designated Sports and Action VR mode is well-suited to working in fast-paced conditions.
- Silent Wave Motor autofocus mechanism provides quick, quiet and precise autofocus performance.
- Full-time manual focus override allows instant switching between AF and MF focusing systems by just rotating the focus ring at any time.
- Internal focusing design maintains the overall lens length during operation and contributes to a lighter overall weight, as well as a minimum focusing distance of 8.5'.
- Specialized electromagnetic aperture mechanism provides greater exposure control stability that is especially beneficial when working with fast continuous shooting rates.
- A Nano Crystal Coat, along with a Super Integrated Coating, has been applied to lens elements to minimize surface and internal reflections for a marked reduction in lens flare and ghosting.
- Fluorine-coated front meniscus glass element affords protection to the optical system.
- Dust- and moisture-resistant magnesium alloy lens barrel benefits the lens' use in inclement conditions.
- When used with DX-sized sensors, the 35mm-equivalent focal length will be 600mm.
- A removable Monopod Collar is included with the lens for well-balanced support when working from a monopod or tripod.