The diskless DS414j 4-Bay NAS Server from Synology features four hot-swappable drive bays each capable of holding either 2.5" or 3.5" hard drives or solid state drives. Once inserted, the drives can be set up to suit a variety of storage needs as the DS414j supports Synology Hybrid RAID, Basic JBOD, RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 6, and RAID 10 configurations. In addition to RAID compatibility, this NAS server feature RAID migration, Volume Expansion, and Global Hot Spare support.
With a 1.2 GHz dual-core MindSpeed Comcerto 2000 processor and 512MB of DDR3 system memory the DS414j is capable of transferring data to and from the drives quickly and efficiently. With the integrated DSM (DiskStation Manager) operating system found within the NAS server you can download a variety of data management applications that help to streamline the process of transferring and managing your files. Applications such as Cloud Station allow you to sync files across multiple devices including both iOS and Android compatible smartphone and tablets. You can also manage your data from Windows, Mac, and Linux based computers.
On the outside of the storage enclosure you will find one USB 2.0 and one USB 3.0 port to connect USB compatible peripherals such as external hard drives. Along with USB connectivity, you can connect this NAS server to the Internet via the single RJ-45 Gigabit Ethernet port. Once up and running the system may heat up when it's pushed to the limit. As a result, the DS414j comes equipped with two 80 x 80 mm fans to ensure it does not overheat.
- Unique Design with Enhanced Performance
- Being the first Synology j series to feature dual core CPU and the SuperSpeed USB, DS414j delivers enhanced performance with an average 112.28 MB/s data read speed in a Windows environment, and 80.38 MB/s write speed. The built-in floating-point unit enhances the overall capability of the main CPU, and speeds up thumbnail processing. The Synology DS414j is equipped with an encryption engine which offloads the encryption calculation task away from the main CPU, helping to improve file transfer speeds of the DiskStation. Running on Synology's DSM operating system, DS414j is capable of utilizing the large variety of applications available in DSM Package Center.
- Windows + Mac + Linux Cross Platform File Sharing
- Synology DS414j offers enhanced network protocol support, assuring seamless file sharing across Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms. Windows AD and LDAP integration allows Synology DS414j to fit quickly into any existing network environment, with no need to recreate user accounts. Internet file access is simplified by the encrypted FTP server and the web-based file explorer, Synology File Station. HTTPS, firewall, and IP auto-block support ensure file sharing over the Internet is protected at a high security level. Cloud Station allows users to sync files among multiple devices, including Windows PC, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android tablets or phones, keeping everything up-to-date.
- Effective Backup Solution
Synology DS414j offers a centralized backup target to consolidate fragmented and unstructured data across a network. PC users can back up their data to Synology DS414j using Synology Data Replicator software, and Mac OS X users enjoy native Apple Time Machine integration. A backup wizard is provided for backing up data from Synology DS414j to another Synology NAS, to other rsync servers, or to an external drive. Backing up to Amazon S3 and Glacier cloud service is also supported. Time Backup keeps DiskStation data in multiple versions, so IT administrators could easily keep track of them and restore to a previous version whenever required.
Shared Folder Sync allows users to synchronize a specific folder from Synology DS414j to another DiskStation - a server-to-client backup mechanism that takes place whenever something is changed on the server side. Users will be able to share documents within their local office seamlessly and safely with encrypted connection. When your DiskStation is down, you will be able to have an immediate backup running in no time.
- Personal Multimedia Bank
- With DS414j you can manage your multimedia contents and share them across Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms. Photo Station's intuitive design allows you to organize photos into customized categories, smart albums and blog posts, and link them to social networking websites like Facebook, Twitter, Plurk and Picasa within a few clicks. Audio Station comes with built-in lyrics plugin, Internet radio, and support for DLNA, AirPlay, and Bluetooth speakers for quality playback. With Video Station, you can watch movies and TV shows online or record your favorite programs with a DVB-T or DVB-S stick.
- Anywhere / Anytime Availability
- Synology provides mobile applications that allow you to enjoy the full variety of your multimedia library even when on the go, allowing you to reach for your private albums, music and video collection at home in DS414j. Available on iOS, Android and Windows Phone platforms, DS photo+, DS audio, and DS video mobilize your Photo Station, Audio Station and Video Station, placing terabytes of content at your fingertips. What's more, DS download makes it possible for you to manage and monitor your download tasks remotely while you can access DS414j content with DS file whenever required.
- Energy Efficient with Cool and Quiet Design
- All Synology NAS is designed with energy efficiency in mind. Not only does DS414j provide two 80 X 80 mm fans and the smart airflow to keep the system running cool 24/7, its noise dampening design makes it really quiet compared to PC counterparts. The support of Wake on LAN/WAN, multiple scheduled power on/off can further reduce power consumption and operation cost.