The unlocked, gunmetal grey HTC One M8 32GB AT&T Branded Smartphone carries on in the tradition of the flagship One line, with a larger screen compared to its predecessor--5" for this model, and still Full HD--a 2.3 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon quad-core processor, 2GB or RAM and the addition of a microSD card slot. All the while retaining characteristic features like metal construction and a 0.37" thick form factor.
True to HTC One form, the phone features a 4 megapixel rear-facing camera that emphasizes low-light performance over megapixel count. New for the M8, there is a secondary real camera above the primary one that acts a depth sensor for certain app-enabled features, like refocusing in post. To get the most out of the One's camera, the phone features apps that allow you to retroactively refocus the image, create panoramic shots, and record Full HD 1920 x 1080 video.
A pair of front facing HTC BoomSound speakers with amplification encourage you to use the phone as a standalone portable entertainment device. But for those times when the BoomSound speakers might not be appropriate, a 3.5mm mini jack connector allows headphones, microphones, or a combination of both to be connected.
In addition to 3G and 4G LTE broadband capability provided by a slot for a nano SIM card, the phone features Wi-Fi so that you can download large files or stream video without cutting into your data allowance. For connecting headsets and other accessories wirelessly, the phone features Bluetooth 4.0, and it also supports NFC pairing so you can connect two devices simply by tapping them together. For use in home entertainment contexts the phone features DLNA wireless media streaming as well as HTC Connect.
This version of the One M8 features 32GB of internal memory, however if your storage needs exceed this, or if you prefer the flexibility of removable storage, new for the One M8 there is also a slot for an optional microSDXC card. The phone will accept cards up to 128GB in capacity, and the microSDXC card can be used for app data as well as storing music, photos, video, documents, and other media content. Apart from the wireless connections available, data can be transferred or backed up to a computer using phone's micro USB 2.0 connector.
The battery is built-in, and at 2600mAh boasts a standby time of up to 496 hours while connected to a 3G network, and up to 20 hours talk time. The phone features USB charging, and also includes an AC wall adapter.
- HTC UltraPixel Rear Camera with Depth Sensor
The philosophy behind HTC's Ultrapixel camera places low light performance ahead of megapixel resolution. The camera features a 1/3", 4MP sensor with back-illumination (BSI) to reduce the space between pixels, while the pixels themselves are 2.0 um in size. The 28mm equivalent lens features an f/2.0 aperture. New for this model there is a second camera that acts as a depth sensor, and is designed to provide metadata allowing compatible apps to refocus the image after it has been taken. The camera can capture up to 1080p video at 60 fps as well as HDR (high dynamic range) still photos at up to 2688 x 1520 (4MP) resolution, and can take photo bursts at up to 8 fps.
Photo related apps provided by HTC include: Gallery with UFocus, Dimension Plus, Seasons, Foregrounder, and Image Match. Between these apps, you can adjust focus after the fact, create 180 x 360° panoramas, and more
- 5MP Front Camera
- For video chatting and taking the self-portraits, the phone also features a 5MP front-facing camera. Like its rear-facing counterpart, the front camera features BSI, and can capture 1080p at 30 fps video and take HDR photos
- GSM / 4G LTE Wireless Connectivity
This phone is designed to work on select GSM networks and is 4G LTE capable, and is optimized for use on non-CDMA U.S.A. carriers. It can also be used in other parts of the world, however high speed data access may be limited or unsupported, depending on the network.
LTE is an advanced cellular network data protocol capable of data speeds so fast that they compete with wired broadband internet providers. With an LTE connection, this phone should have no problem streaming HD video, downloading apps, uploading photos, or anything else that requires a high-speed data connection. The phone is also backwards compatible with 3G and 2G data for instances when you can't get LTE. In addition to cellular wireless, this phone also features Bluetooth, NFC, and Wi-Fi connectivity.
Note: Not compatible with all cellular networks. Please make sure your provider uses a frequency or band that this phone supports, and will allow carrier-unlocked phones. You can check which bands this phone supports in the Specifications.
- Android 4 Operating System
- The Android operating system features a user-friendly interface, and is designed for intuitive multi-touch navigation. You can customize your home screen with frequently used apps and widgets, as well as create folders and shortcuts to things like system settings and bookmarked webpages. With the Android operating system you will also have access to the Google Play Store, which offers a vast library of apps, games, books, music, movies, and more. With native mass storage support, you can interface your Android device to a computer for file management and content sharing.
- 5" Full HD Touchscreen
- Particularly of note for gamers and multimedia smartphone users, the HTC One M8 features a full 5" touchscreen with a Full HD 1920 x 1080 resolution and a pixel density of 440 ppi
- HTC BoomSound with Dual Front-Facing Speakers
- A pair of front-facing speakers direct sound toward, not away from you. And, featuring a 0.85cc top speaker chamber and a 0.80cc bottom speaker chamber, with the HTC One M8 it is like having a mini boombox in your pocket. Additionally, HTC uses proprietary membrane excursion direct control designed to deliver optimized volume and bass to really make your music thump
- Brushed Metal Chassis
- After the modern look, the HTC One M8 is encased in a brushed metal frame and features stacked internal components to provide a form factor that is 0.37" thick
- The HTC One features built-in GPS that can supply location data to pre-loaded as well as user installed Apps, including Android's own Google Maps
- Notable Pre-Installed Apps
With HTC BlinkFeed, simply pick the social networks, news and feeds you want to stay updated on and they'll all stream live to your home screen. Your live home screen can contain the latest updates on your friends, photos, social networks, calendar events, sports teams, music, news, and more
Keep track of daily schedules, appointments, meetings, reminders and more
With Sense TV, you can select TV channels, access program guides, adjust audio and more. Find your favorite shows, and it will notify you when they're on