The MOVI M5 3-Axis Gimbal Stabilizer with Spektrum Transmitter is a bundle from Freefly that features the MOVI M5 hand-held stabilizer for DSLRs and video cameras weighing up to 5 pounds and a Spektrum transmitter (hand-held radio controller), an RC remote control that allows a second operator to control the gimbal's pan, tilt, and roll functions.
To provide camera stabilization, the M5 uses three motors and an IMU (inertial measurement unit) to detect and counteract unwanted movement along three axes: pan, tilt, and roll. In particular, compensating for handshake or vehicle-induced vibration and reducing translation. There is a quick-release adapter available separately so that it can be mounted on cranes, jibs, vehicle mounts, and other camera support equipment. There is also an MR (multi-rotor) conversion kit, available separately, so that it can mounted on a UAV such as the CineStar.
The system supports single- or dual-operator control. In single user (Majestic) mode the system's software intelligently differentiates unwanted shake or vibration from intentional movement, such as panning, while keeping the horizon level. Alternatively, you can have a dedicated operator using the DX9 transmitter who is in charge of camera pan, tilt--and if you want--roll. In this configuration the camera will always point where the operator of the transmitter tells it to, independent of how the rig operator moves.
As with sled-style stabilizers, the camera should be balanced on the MOVI to ensure best performance. Once balanced, the MOVI will need to be linked via Bluetooth to an Android mobile device or a computer or tablet running Windows to finalize the configuration process.
Two lithium-polymer (LiPo) batteries and a charger are included, as well as a top handle for low-angle shooting or transporting the assembled rig on set.
- Supported Cameras
- For DSLRs such as the Canon EOS-5D Mark III, Nikon D800, and Panasonic GH4 as well as select compact cinema cameras weighting up to 5 pounds total, including the lens. Large DSLRs such as the Canon EOS-1DC will not fit and typically exceed the specified weight limit
- Spektrum Transmitter Included
- Pan, tilt, and - if so desired - roll can be operated remotely using the included Spektrum RC transmitter (hand-held radio controller). In dual-operator mode the camera points where the transmitter operator tells it to, regardless of which way the grip holding the gimbal moves
- Majestic Mode
- For single-operator use. In this mode the gimbal provides stabilization without counteracting operator-directed camera movements--the camera goes where you point the handles. This mode is ideal for accurate framing in tight situations
- Drift Free Horizon
- The gimbal uses a GPS-assisted IMU that when used outdoors with available satellite signals is able to minimize drift even when under acceleration--such as where the camera is mounted on a UAV or vehicle
- Live Wireless Tuning and Graphing
- A real-time Bluetooth wireless link is provided by the gimbal which transmits performance data for live adjustment of any of the gimbal parameters using software for Windows or Android
- Silent Drive
- The motors driving the gimbal have been designed to operate as quietly as possible to ensure you will be able to record sound without picking up any unwanted noise
- Translation Compensation
- Making hundreds of adjustments per second, the software works to counteract translation--the bobbing up and down effect while running--when tracking a moving subject moving at high speed. In this situation translation may be unavoidable, but at least the subject will remain in-frame
- Shot Recorder
- Keeps a record of the camera position (where GPS is available), height, camera pan, tilt, and roll so that the shot can be recreated later or to help Visual Effects align the live action shot with other elements in a CG composite
- Third-Party Mounting
- Using separately available mounting hardware it is possible to mount the MOVI on cranes, jibs, Steadicams and similar vest-supported stabilizers (where it corrects for angular error), and other camera support hardware. It has also been verified to work on an Easyrig
- Remote Firmware Updatable
- You can upgrade the gimbal to new software features as they are released by Freefly yourself, without having to send the device in for a factory update
- Custom Direct Drive Motors
- The MOVI system uses motors that were custom made for the gimbal rather than re-purposing off-the-shelf parts