The K553MA-DB01TQ 15.6" Multi-Touch Notebook Computer from ASUS has a 15.6" widescreen display that is also a capacitive touchscreen so you'll be able utilize all the multi-touch gestures incorporated into Windows 8.1. The screen has a true 16:9 aspect ratio, which is also the standard of HDTVs. The HD 1366 x 768 native resolution is supported by integrated Intel HD Graphics.
The system is powered by a quad-core 1.83 GHz Intel Bay Trail-M Celeron N2930 processor. It also has 4GB of DDR3 RAM, a 500GB 5400 rpm hard drive, a SuperMulti DVD burner, a 2-in-1 media card reader, 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, an integrated webcam, and a microphone. There are also built-in stereo speakers.
Windows 8.1 (64-bit) is the installed operating system. Windows 8.1 improves the user experience of Windows 8 with several additions and changes. The Start button returns, but has two limited core functions. A left click takes you to the redesigned Start screen featuring tiles that update in real-time. A right click brings up an advanced menu where you can access the Device Manager, Control Panel, and more. You will also be able to boot directly to the traditional desktop screen instead of the Windows 8.1 Start screen. Windows 8.1 provides a unique user experience that differs from previous versions of Windows.
- Quad-Core Intel Bay Trail-M Celeron Performance
- The ASUS K553MA houses an Intel Bay Trail-M Celeron N2930 processor. Its quad cores can reach a stock speed of 1.83 GHz. The processor can also be overclocked up to 2.16 GHz when needed. It has a dedicated 2MB L2 cache, 4GB of DDR3 RAM, and integrated Intel HD Graphics for added performance.
- 15.6" Glossy Touchscreen
- The 15.6" HD widescreen display of the ASUS K553MA supports capacitive touch capabilities. With the Windows 8.1 operating system, you'll be able to take full advantage of the 1366 x 768 native resolution by tapping on tiles, pinching to zoom, and dragging icons using just your fingers. The visuals are handled by integrated Intel HD Graphics. The glossy finish provides vibrant color.
- Stay Connected
- For a fast wired Internet connection, you can use the 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet RJ-45 LAN jack. You can also use 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi to connect to the Internet wirelessly and stay mobile.
- IceCool Technology
- The heat-producing components are strategically placed away from the palm rests to ensure comfort over long computing sessions.
- Smart Performance
- Experience 2-second instant-on resume time and automatic smart saving when you dip below 5% battery life, thanks to ASUS's unique software suite.
- ASUS WebStorage
- The ASUS K553MA comes with 3GB of free lifetime ASUS WebStorage. With ASUS WebStorage, you'll be able to save music, photos, and documents to the cloud, and access them from almost any device. You'll be connecting to ASUS' secured network so all your files will be safe.
- The Return of the Start Button
- After many requests from Windows users, the Start button makes its return in Windows 8.1. While it may not be exactly the same as its predecessor in Windows 7, the Start button has two core functions. A left click on the Start button will take you to the Windows 8.1 Start screen featuring live tiles. A right click on the Start button brings up an advanced menu where you can access the Device Manager, Control Panel, Network options, and more.
- Boot Directly to the Desktop
- Windows 8.1 gives you the choice of booting to the Windows 8.1 Start screen with live tiles or booting to the familiar desktop screen of Windows 7. Users can also boot directly into an app or app view if they choose to.
- Seamless Integration of Multi-Touch Gestures
- Windows 8.1 supports multi-touch gestures. Now, you can use your keyboard, mouse, or the touchpad using simple gestures. Whether you're browsing apps, reading a book, or typing on the go with touch, you'll be able to seamlessly switch between all three interactive components. With the touchpad, Windows 8.1 allows you to use multi-touch gestures, such as swipe, drag, tap, slide, pinch-to-zoom, and more.
- To the Cloud
- With Windows 8.1, when signed in using your Microsoft account, you'll have instant access to your personal Start screen, themes, language preferences, browsing history, and browser favorites. You can also connect to services such as Microsoft Outlook, Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, and more.
- Windows Store
- In the Windows Store, you can search for or browse thousands of apps. Choose from the featured apps or grab one of the most frequently downloaded apps to see what all the hype is all about. You can also see how other people rate apps. For certain apps, you can try it out before you buy it, so you can make sure you absolutely want an app before you spend your hard-earned money on it.