The stylish black PEN E-PL7 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera with 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II R Lens from Olympus brings with it a compact design and a 3.0" 1.04M-dot touchscreen LCD that flips downward 180° for creating quality self-portraits. In addition to this display, it features a 16-megapixel Live MOS CMOS sensor and the TruePic VII image processor for creating detailed imagery. The E-PL7 also manages to fit three-axis VCM image stabilization into the body for sharp photographs and video.
Focusing with the E-PL7 is speedy with an 81-point FAST AF system which includes Small Target AF. This system can work while taking continuous shots up to a rate of 8 fps and the grid covers the entire frame. Full HD video recording is also possible. And, this camera comes with the FL-LM1 flash which offers wireless control over additional units.
Fourteen different Art Filters are available for achieving unique looks and effects in your imagery. This includes settings like Vintage and Partial Color. HDR, HDR bracketing, and focus peaking features are also included for assistance during shooting. Interval shooting also has a helpful tool which will convert individual images captured during interval shooting into timelapse.
Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity enables users to pick up their mobile devices and use them to accentuate usage of the E-PL7. By using the Olympus Image Share app you can move images from your camera directly to your device as well as control the camera itself.
Along with compact form, interchangeable lenses are an important advantage to mirrorless photography and Olympus provides a wide array of Micro Four Thirds lenses to fit the E-PL7, including the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II R which is bundled with this camera. This zoom lens, designed specifically for Micro Four Thirds mounts, has an overall length of just 1.9". This is a versatile lens, covering a wide-angle to moderate telephoto focal length of 14-42mm, or 28-84mm in 35mm format. It is comprised of 8 elements in 7 groups and the lens has 7 aperture blades that create natural background blur.
- 16MP Live MOS Sensor & TruePic VII Image Processor
- The 16MP Live MOS sensor is optimized to maximize the performance of all M.Zuiko digital lenses in any shooting condition. Improvements to the sensitivity and read-out speed thanks to the inclusion of the TruePic VII image processor enables shooting of clear, detailed low-light images at ISO speeds up to 25600, and also allows for Full HD movie recording. The processor also helps with the fast 8 fps continuous shooting speed and color reproduction.
- FAST Autofocus System with Small Target AF
Benefitting the quick shooting performance of the E-PL7, a contrast-detection focusing method employs 81 AF areas across the entire sensor to quickly and accurately acquire focus. Aptly named, FAST (Frequency Acceleration Sensor Technology) is able to home in on subjects using single-shot or continuous focusing methods, as well as AF tracking to benefit working with moving subjects. In addition there is Small Target AF that can be used to acquire focus in a smaller area for increased accuracy.
When working with manual focus, focus peaking is available to simplify attaining precise sharpness, which is especially useful when using selective focus or shallow depth of field techniques.
- 3-Axis In-Body VCM Image Stabilization
- In-body VCM (Voice Coil Motor) image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake with any lens in use and compensates for camera movements that become especially noticeable when working with telephoto shots, macro imagery, and long exposures. Furthermore, this unique image stabilization system works across three axes, versus the conventional two axes, and compensates for vertical and horizontal shifts (yaw and pitch) as well as camera shake along the optical axis (roll). This range of detected movements serves to benefit traditional still image shooting as well as movie recording and working with moving subjects more effectively.
- 3.0" 1.04M-dot 180° Flip LCD Touchscreen
- The E-PL7 is equipped with a bright 3.0" 1.04M-dot LCD touchscreen that can flip downward 180° for a much simpler and easier method of taking self-portraits. The screen allows for touch focusing and shutter release, making it much more intuitive to take photos. Additionally, it can flip upwards for shooting at low angles.
- Full HD Video Recording
- Capable of recording 1920 x 1080p video at 30 fps, the E-PL7 provides users with another creative method for capturing imagery. This system saves the files as MOV format files and will also record stereo audio with the built-in microphone. Multiple other options are available as well, including 1280 x 720 and 640 x 480 resolution options.
- Wi-Fi Connectivity and Olympus Image Share App
- By using the Olympus Image Share app, wireless control of the E-PL7 is possible through using linked iOS and Android mobile devices. The mobile device can be used to preview compositions, choose a specific AF point, and release the shutter via the intuitive app interface. Users can also transmit images directly to their mobile device from the camera and geotag images with the application.
- Art Filters, Effects, and Specialty Modes
- Fourteen different art filters, including Vintage and Partial Color, are featured as well as Art Effects such as Shade Effect. Specialty modes in the E-PL7 are also available including Photo Story and a Panning Scene Mode. Videos can also benefits from some of these effects and have options like Old Film Effect to give a unique look to your images.
- Classic Design
- Featuring leather wrapping and brushed metal accents, the E-PL7 is a compact, stylish camera reminiscent of the original film PEN series cameras.
- Other Features
- Full HD video recording with effects, such as Old Film Effect
- Interval shooting and conversion of image series into timelapse videos
- RAW image editing is available in camera
- Micro HDMI out port for displaying images and video on compatible devices
- Hot shoe for attaching bundled flash or other optional units
- Can also save 3D-compatible MPO images