Combining a microphone pre-amp with a compressor, limiter and de-esser/exciter, the Focusrite RED 7 Classic Microphone Preamplifier with Dynamics is ideal for high quality direct recording, notably voice-over and other vocal applications.
The Red 7 employs the same microphone pre-amp as the Red 1 and Red 8, with a dual-range gain pot that allows precise control across the full range of the device. Phantom power and phase reverse are also provided. The Line input is electronically balanced, with continuously variable gain. A high quality output fader offers +6dB gain to infinite attenuation, essential for direct recordings or for accurate level matching after EQ and dynamics.
Added to the preamp is a full dynamics section optimized for vocals. The compressor design of the Red7 is taken directly from the Red 3, and as on that unit, is characterized by low noise and distortion. Relatively heavy compression can be applied whilst retaining a transparent natural sound. Ratio, gain make-up, threshold, attack and release are all continuously variable, and a program dependent auto-release mode can be switched in. A swept high-pass filter allows effective treatment of problems such as rumble, bass lift and proximity effect.
The de-essing/exciter stage can be switched in to provide frequency-selective compression or expansion. The amount and centre frequency of the effect are continuously variable, and as all dynamics use the single Focusrite VCA technique, unwanted coloration of the sound is kept to an absolute minimum. A clear VU on the meter of the Red7 shows level after the pre-amp gain control, or gain change in the compressor.
- Single channel dynamic microphone preamplification
- Combined compressor, limiter, and de-esser/exciter
- Ideal for high quality direct vocal recording
- The Red preamp circuitry offers extremely low noise and distortion
- Illuminated push-buttons for microphone and line input selection, phantom power, input gain range selection, and phase reverse
- Precision VU meter switchable to signal level or gain change
- Scribble discs
- Versatile, yet straight forward operation
- Dual-range gain pot allowing precise control across full range
- Electronically balanced line input with continuously variable gain
- High-quality output fader
- Apply heavy compression while retaining transparent, natural sound
- Swept high-pass filter