Since its introduction in the mid 1970's, the dbx160 series has been a very popular compressor. Solid construction, fool proof operation, great sound, at-a-glance metering and a bulletproof output stage, all contributed to its popularity with musicians, recording studios, consultants, installers, and broadcast media production people.
The 166XL is a dual channel/stereo compressor/limiter. It provides two channels of noise gating, OverEasy or classic hard knee compression and PeakStop limiting, with complete control of signal dynamics for studios, sound reinforcement companies and musicians. When using the Attack and Release controls, artists and engineers will find that the center settings deliver classic dbx compression, while the full control range produces effects that extend from slow leveling to aggressive peak limiting. The unit's advanced gate circuitry uses a new, program-dependent timing algorithm to produce ultra-smooth release characteristics, even with complex signals such as voice or reverb decays.
Separate precision LED displays for gain reduction, compression threshold and gate threshold allow quick, accurate setup, while the 166XL's intuitive operation lets users easily smooth uneven levels, add sustain to guitars, squash drums or tighten up mixes. In Stereo Couple mode, channel 1 controls become the master controls, and channel 2 follows precisely to ensure a rock solid stereo image, even with high amounts of compression, through True RMS Power Summing.
- Stereo or dual mono operation of gating, compression and peak limiting
- OverEasy/Hard Knee Selection allows selection between the curves popularized by the original dbx 160, 161 and 162
- Expander/Gate circuit with variable release time and +15dBu maximum threshold
- Selectable Low Frequency Shelf (via Contour button) in the sidechain path - recommended when compressing mixedprogram material to prevent low frequency energy from "punching holes" in the program material
- PeakStop Limiting
- Provides control of maximum peak levels at the output of the 166XL regardless of any other control. PeakStop comes after the compression, gating and other circuitry including the output gain, so it sets an absolute limit for peak excursions before they reach the output
- True RMS Level Detection
- Senses the power in the program material in a musical manner, much as human hearing does, giving results superior to peak or average detection
- Separate sidechain inserts enable an outboard processor or signal to control compression or gating
- 10-Segment LED Display for gain reduction
- Electronically balanced XLR and 1/4" TRS input and output jacks