The non-rotating Tiffen Series 9 Ultra Pol Linear Polarizer Filter helps to greatly reduce reflections and glare by filtering out light that has become polarized due to reflection from a non-metallic surface. This results in a noticeable increase in the saturation of skies and foliage, as well as clearer imagery when photographing in hazy conditions. A linear polarizer differs from a circular polarizer in that it does not supports use of a camera's autofocus or auto exposure functions; it is best suited for use with manual cameras, such as view cameras, that are not dependent on internal mechanisms to determine focus or metering settings.
There is a total filter factor of about 4, requiring an increase of 2 stops for normal exposure. This filter is constructed from Water White glass and made using ColorCore technology, a process that involves laminating the filter substrate between 2 pieces of optical glass, grinding flat to a tolerance of 1/10,000th of an inch, and then mounting to precision metal rings. The non-rotating design of this filter is best-suited for use with lens hoods, adapters, or other rings for rotational control over the polarizing substrate. It is designed for use with Series 9 filter holders.
- Compared to a standard polarizer, the Ultra Pol design strives to increase the polarizing effect for enhanced reduction of reflections and greater color saturation.
- Arrange and filter directionally polarized light perpendicularly to the reflected light allowing for the absorption of much of the light.
- Lessens haze in distant landscapes and provides more saturated, vivid colors.
- Strongest effect when used at a 90° from the sun.
- Water White optical glass for excellent clarity.
- Non-rotating design is best-suited to use with lens hoods or adapter rings in order to best control the polarizing effect of the filter.