The Schneider 400mm f/5.6 Apo-Tele-Xenar Lens is a telephoto specialist for the 4x5 format, made with the needs of field cameras in mind. While it has great image quality as any Schneider would, it is the physical elements of this lens that are particularly special. It only needs 285mm of bellows draw at infinity to achieve its impressive 400mm focal length that can truly create some stunning images, and it has a compact 60mm rear barrel so that it easily fits into the use of many 4x5 system cameras. While the Apo-Tele-Xenar is designed primarily for brilliant, detailed studies of distant scenes, it is also a practical lens for portraiture.
The 400mm f/5.6 Apo-Tele-Xenar permits 55mm of all-direction shift with a 4x5 camera, which should be plenty of movement for most distant scenes. It also has apochromatic color correction, which is particularly important with images taken at great distances. It accepts 82mm filters upon the front, but can also take rear-mounted 58mm filters.
- Compact, extremely sharp telephoto lens for 4x5 cameras
- Apochromatic color correction for images entirely free of fringing
- Designed for distant scenes, but also very good at portraiture
- Bellows draw of just 285mm at infinity
- Compact rear barrel to permit use on small field cameras
- Accepts 82mm or 58mm filters
- Standard-style Copal #3 shutter with calibrated aperture scale and maximum 1/125th speed