The 160SLPLUS from dbx is a dual mono/stereo compressor/limiter that strives for excellence not only in performance, but also in construction and ships with the 704X digital output card installed. It features dual proprietary V8 VCA modules that deliver 127dB of dynamic range with ultra-low distortion.
The unit features Auto, AutoVelocity and full manual mode for setting up the processor. This allows the user to set maximum preferred settings in manual mode and let the 160SLPLUS do the rest, depending on the program material. In addition to having the auto attack and release mode, the compressor retains the hard knee threshold characteristics of the classic dbx 160.
The compressor has a machined 1/4" aircraft aluminum front panel, handcrafted solid aluminum knobs, LEDs mounted individually in machined stainless steel housings, custom VU meters with peak indicators and is housed in a heavy gauge chassis. Additionally, the electronics of the unit take full advantage of today's technologically superior components and deliver a sonically advanced processor.
The included 704X digital output card uses dbx's TYPE IV Conversion System to convert the analog signals to digital in a way that preserves the analog warmth of the original, yet gives the clarity and precision offered by the digital domain.
The system offers the best performance in headroom management through custom dither algorithms and noise floor shaping, and supports samples rates up to 96kHz. AES/EBU and coaxial S/PDIF output are available, along with Wordclock I/O on BNC connectors.
- Dual channel compressor/limiter with dbx V8 VCA module that exhibits a dynamic range of 127dB with extremely low distortion
- The VCA is encased in a specially-designed zinc-aluminum housing for shielding and thermal protection. This allows for peak performance of the VCA in any environment
- Feature AutoVelocity circuit that provides program dependent Auto mode or fully variable attack and release
- Switchable between hard-knee and OverEasy compression
- Jensen transformers
- Gold-palladium-nickel board-to-board connectors and rare earth magnet relays with gold contacts, in a hermetically sealed nitrogen environment
- Double-shielded Toroid transformer ensures no self-generated power supply noise enters the audio path
- PeakStop/PeakStopPlus switchable limiting topologies
- Sidechain capabilities, switchable from the front panel
- TYPE IV analog to digital conversion system
- Supports 44.1, 48k, 88.2 and 96kHz sample rates
- 48-bit internal signal path
- Outputs can be dithered to 16, 20, or 24-bits using TPDF or SNR2 algorithms
- Two user-selectable noise shape algorithms
- Sync input and output on BMC connectors
- Gold-plated Neutrik AES/EBU and S/PDIF connectors