The Schneider 80mm f/4.5 Super-Symmar XL Lens is a professional wide angle lens for the 4x5 format, which provides an angle of view on 4x5 which is similar to a 21mm lens in the 35mm format. The Super-Symmar XL lenses are the world's first aspherical lens design for large format, producing incredible peak sharpness with excellent correction for distortion and a small overall size. The 80mm f/4.5's large image circle allows plenty of creative control for the photographer-in fact, it has the largest image circle of any 80mm large format lens. Beyond the coverage, the lens' large f/4.5 maximum aperture helps to ease the difficulty of focusing the camera in poor light.
The 80mm Super-Symmar XL's 105° angle of coverage permits a generous 34mm of all-direction shift on the 4x5 format, which is particularly beneficial when capturing a building from ground level. It can be mounted upon any view or field camera, thanks to its tiny 43mm diameter rear barrel which only extends 14.8mm behind the mount, allowing plenty of space between the rear of the barrel and the image plane for tilts and swings.
The 80mm Super-Symmar XL uses 67mm filters, and for critical work with transparency film it is strongly recommended to use their dedicated #3b center filter.
- Extremely sharp ultra wide lens for professional results in the 4x5 format (can also be used upon 5x7 cameras)
- World's first aspherical lens design series for large format
- Excellent correction of perspective distortion
- Increased coverage to an extreme 105°
- Bright f/4.5 maximum aperture allows easier focusing in subdued light
- Largest image circle of any 80mm large format lens
- Maximum image circle of 211mm allows ±34mm of rise/fall/shift (in both vertical/horizontal composition) for 4x5 format
- Accepts 67mm filters
- Optional IIIb center filter for critical correction of light falloff when working with transparency films
- Standard-style Copal #0 shutter with calibrated aperture scale and maximum 1/500th speed