SPEED from Sound Toys is time-stretching and pitch-shifting AudioSuite software for Digidesign's Pro Tools systems. It can also be used as the default processor in Logic Pro's Time Machine. The software allows you to change the tempo of drum loops, or shift the key of a bass line using one of 3 different modes, with fast results and without "glitchy" pitch artifacts.
The Simple mode makes adjusting tempo and pitch as easy as a twist of the knob. The tempo and pitch can be adjusted in different units such as percentage of tempo, length, and pitch in semitones, cents, or frequency ratio.
The second method provides a "graphical" tempo and pitch change control panel, allowing an accelerando on a full music mix to be drawn in using the mouse. The graph editing works just like Pro Tools automation, with complete control over pitch and time. One could even create a special effect in the graph mode, and save it as a preset.
The final control panel works like a calculator. Target durations, tempos or pitches are entered and SPEED calculates the correct amount of processing required.
- Tempo Modification Range: 50 to 200 percent
- Pitch Modification Range: -1200 to 1200 cents
- Preview the tempo and pitch change in real-time (on a fast enough computer), before committing the changes to disc
- With Pro Tools, SPEED can be specified as the default application for performing time stretching/compression in the edit window
- Apple's Logic Pro Time Machine can also use SPEED as the default processor