Kowa enjoys a spectacular reputation of enduring quality internationally, where there are large numbers of nature enthusiasts.
Kowa's 66mm series employ the great features of their world class flagship model, the TSN-821 M, in a smaller scope. Despite having a larger front element than two well-known 65mm scope competitors, the heaviest of the Kowa versions is still lighter than the lightest of their European brethren.
It is entirely a matter of personal preference best determined by experience, but many feel that angled scopes offer a more comfortable position for extended viewing periods. They're usually a bit easier to share amongst multiple users of varying heights as well.
The TSN-663 uses an element of ED(extra-low dispersion) glass in its construction, which greatly minimizes chromatic aberration. Most spotting scopes are essentially refractor telescopes built for harsh abuse, with permanently included prisms to render the terrestrial world upright and laterally correct. For all their contrast and resolution, refractor telescopes did fall out of favor with astronomers for their false coloring at the image periphery(chromatic aberration).
This problem becomes more prevalent the larger and longer the refractor is and is easily seen in astronomy-but much harder to detect in birding, for example. But if you view a bird in front of a bright sky background with a normal scope, you'll see some fringing on the edge of the subject where it meets the sky in your view. This may appear as a blue or purple hazy line. Glass with ED elements greatly reduce this effect.
- Full multicoatings on all lenses and prisms
- 360° rotating base with click stops allows usage from many angles-even overhead
- Quick-aiming sightline aids in object locating
- Sliding sun shade shields unnecessary light and raindrops while providing protection for the front element (which has a 72mm filter thread)
- Sealing and O-ring purging which lets you scoff at conditions
- Adaptable to 35 mm SLR cameras, digital cameras, and video cameras with optional photo adapter
- Metal alloy & carbon fiber rubber-armored construction