The 1788A-R from Aphex is a dedicated controller unit for use with the 1788A microphone preamp. Each 1788A-R can control a bank of up to sixteen 1788A preamps, which equals 128 microphone channels. Additionally, the 1788A-R has MIDI In and Thru ports that can be used to extend remote control to MIDI control devices, which are directed through the 1788A-R to the targeted 1788A.
Communications between the 1788A-R and 1788A is exclusively via LAN. The 1788A network requires a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Server (DHCP) since IP addresses are not hardware assignable to individuals in the network constellation. Each IP address must be served up dynamically, on demand. This greatly simplifies the administration and flexibility of the network.
The DHCP Server can be a hardware unit or a computer configured to be a DHCP Server. Hardware DHCP Servers usually take the form of a DSL Internet router, which are inexpensive and reliable. The 1788A-R itself consists of a control surface and a power module. These can be mounted/used separately or attached together using the supplied hardware.
- Remote control for 1788A microphone preamp
- One 1788A-R can control up to sixteen 1788A preamps (one network bank) at a time
- Up to eight 1788A-R remote controls can be used to control up to 128 1788A preamps in eight banks
- Utilizes Ethernet networking
- MIDI Interface
- Fully replicates 1788A controls and indicators
- Can be used rack-mounted or as a desktop configuration
- Can share network with one PC (or Mac) software remote controller
- Allows for MIDI control to be redirected by the 1788A-R to 1788A preamps within the network bank