The DMM100-BAT from ATI Audio is a level, impedance and connector matcher for digital audio signals. AES/EBU and S/PDIF digital signals share the same general data format. However, an S/PDIF signal will include dedicated bits in the data stream that will indicate whether the signal source is an original or a first generation copy. A professional device may indicate whether the encoded audio is a stereo signal or two monaural channels.
The DMM100-BAT does not discriminate based on these details and simply attempts to output a clean copy of the original data stream.
For example, a situation might arise where it is necessary to run a low level RCA type (S/PDIF) digital output a long distance, in a high noise environment. In this instance, a balanced XLR high-level connection would be a better choice, while maintaining the integrity of the original data.
The unit provides four types of input and output connectors for both the AES/EBU and S/PDIF digital formats. These include XLR, RCA coaxial, BNC and TOSLink optical.
The DMM100-BAT can operate using either four AA batteries or an external 24VDC power module. Fresh alkaline batteries will provide a minimum of forty-hours of operation. The batteries are cut off by the introduction of external power and can be used as an automatically-switched backup power source.
Note! To increase battery life by 50%, the TOSLink optical drivers can be disabled via an internal jumper.
- Accepts AES/EBU digital audio signals from an XLR female 110Ω line, a BNC or RCA 75Ω line or a TOSLink optical fiber
- Provides a signal bandwidth of 12MHz to handle digital audio sampling rates of 27kHz to 96kHz
- Can simultaneously drive an XLR male 110Ω output at 3.5Vp-p and a BNC or RCA 75Ω output at 1.0Vp-p and a TOSLink optical transmitter
- Propagation delay through the DMM100 is less than 100nS and jitter is under 5nSp-p
- All electrical inputs and outputs are transformer isolated, floating and DC blocked to eliminate ground loop hum and jitter, and to prevent transformer saturation due to accidental superimposed DC line voltages
- All inputs and outputs are properly terminated for minimum signal reflection
- A green "Signal Present" indicator illuminates when a data carrier is output from the unit