M-Audio continues life on the cutting edge with the introduction of the Keystation Pro 88, a USB-powered MIDI master controller keyboard with 88 velocity sensitive keys, a piano-like keyboard design called Hammer Action, and a collection of knobs, levers and buttons sufficient in quantity to populate the control panel of, say, the spaceship Challenger.
The Keystation Pro 88 also doubles very nicely as a full-featured MIDI remote mixing surface, equally viable for use with a software sequencer's virtual "console", or mangling the parameters of a softsynth, with a set of faders that can also be used as drawbar controls of the many software "Hammonds" currently available. M-Audio's driver support is very inclusive and ambitious, and a backup software ed/lib program called Enigma is a useful utility, downloadable upon registration.
Finally, there is the issue of price, which for a controller keyboard with the capabilities and features of the Keystation Pro 88, is astonishingly low.
- 88-key velocity sensitive master controller keyboard with 59 assignable controllers, and piano-like Hammer Action design
- 4-zone master control for split and layer functionality
- Multiple, dynamic velocity curves
- Advanced program change commands include LSB, MSB, RPN, and NRPN; on-the-fly bank and program change transmit buttons
- Full General MIDI 1 and 2 compatibility
- Full-function remote MIDI mixing control surface capability for software virtual mixing
- 9 faders for level or drawbar emulation control of software organs
- Independent MIDI channel assignment for all controllers
- Seamless sys-ex memory dump of setups, 10 onboard User memory locations
- Snap Shot button transmits all active settings
- Control Mute function mutes all controller outputs for glitchless positioning to desired parameter value
- Enigma editing software for setup storage and backup
- USB port for direct computer connection, USB powered
- USB class compliance means no drivers required for Mac OS X or Windows XP
- Comprehensive driver CD-ROM supports wide variety of older Windows and Mac OS versions
- Large, backlit LCD