The Schneider 800mm f/12 Apo-Tele-Xenar Lens is a telephoto specialist for the 8x10 format, made with the needs of practical photography in mind. It can even cover an 11x14 camera. At such an enormous focal length your camera can easily act as an unwanted sail, but this lens needs just 628mm of bellows draw to achieve infinity focus. It is also convertible to a 600mm f/9 lens with the exchange of the rear element. Upon an 8x10 camera, this lens captures a view similar to that of an 106mm lens upon a 35mm camera, but the presence of a large format telephoto image is incomparable.
A focal length of 800mm on a large format camera is a special tool to be certain, but it is nonetheless very capable of creating stunning images that are otherwise impossible to achieve. A space shuttle launch rendered in large format is an example.
This Apo-Tele-Xenar is an apochromatic lens, with extreme color correction that's practically a necessity when viewing images the lens was designed to capture. It permits 97mm of all-direction shift with 8x10 cameras, which is likely plenty for most distant scenes.
- Specialist telephoto lens for 8x10 cameras (also adaptable to 11x14 cameras)
- Apochromatic color correction for images entirely free of fringing
- Designed for distant scenes
- Convertible to 600mm lens (with optional exchange of rear lens group)
- Bellows draw of 628mm at infinity
- Accepts 105mm or 86mm filters
- Standard-style Copal #3 shutter with calibrated aperture scale and maximum 1/125th speed