The Mackie BIG KNOB is a compact, moderately priced, tabletop control room speaker selector and router unit, that effectively replaces the monitoring section of a mixing board in the often console-less professional and project DAW recording studio. The versatility of this unit invites possible use as an audio control center for a more elaborate home stereo or Home Theater system, as well.
The BIG KNOB actually has one, in the form of a large, robust, high precision volume control knob that services a generous array of selector switches and monitoring options. Speaking of volume, this is a very high output piece of gear, with lots of headroom.
The BIG KNOB switches are all equipped with activity LED indicators, and the built-in Talkback mic, dual Headphone outputs, and main Studio Outs all provide an independent volume control knob. The rear panel Monitor and Studio Out connector sections, in addition to each of the source inputs, are equipped with individual trim controls, as well.
All function switches, selector switches, and connectors are very clearly labeled and ruggedly housed; the emphasis in the design of the BIG KNOB is on intuitive setup, simplified navigation, and clean sound. The refreshingly sleek and modest appearance, ergonomically and logically presented, indicates a sense of real world understanding and experience on the part of Mackie's engineering team.
- Tabletop control room monitoring source and speaker selector
- Large, robust, high-precision volume control knob
- Monitor A, B and C selector switches with LED's and connectors for 3 separate pairs of powered studio monitors, subwoofers or power amplifiers
- Dedicated trim controls for all Monitor output connector sections
- Dual headphone outputs, each with independent volume control; dedicated headphone mix bus and separate headphone amp outputs
- 4 Input Source Select switches with LED's
- Mute, Dim and Mono monitoring switches with LED's
- Built-in omnidirectional condenser talkback mic
- Talkback control section with separate level control and individual 2-track and headphone or studio routing selector switches
- Phono preamp with trim control for direct connection to turntables
- Dedicated DAW mix input with trim control
- Trim controls for all Source input connector sections
- Stereo Studio Outs with dedicated switch and volume control, separate trim control for Studio Out connector section
- Balanced or unbalanced +4/-10 operation for all connectors; balanced/unbalanced selector switches for 2-Track A and B, DAW Mix and DAW Phones Mix input sections, 2-Track A and B, DAW Output, and Phones Amp output sections
- Dual Voltage power supply