As the top model in the Canon EOS Rebel line-up, the Rebel T2 replaces the Rebel Ti model and includes improvements such as faster shutter speeds, better auto focusing, and for the first time custom functions that are user friendly and appropriate for a wide range of shooting environments.
The T2 is the first EOS Rebel that lets users select AF modes independently, from a choice of 7 points. A four-position keypad on the back of the camera also makes autofocus point selection more intuitive and faster, providing overall better performance for users.
The improved high-speed shutter on the Rebel T2 model boasts a maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 second and X-sync at 1/125 sec. Also, due to faster shutter cocking, the viewfinder blackout time has been shortened from 180 milliseconds to approx. 150 ms., which makes the shooting experience more pleasant and productive.
Also incorporated in the Rebel T2 is the E-TTL II autoflash metering system, which is used for both the built-in flash and external EX-series Speedlites. The E-TTL II flash system, which is compatible with most EF lenses, consistently produces accurate flash exposures, even when shooting light, dark or highly reflective subjects.
Other features which make the camera more user friendly and worry-free include a shutter lock that prevents shooting if there is no film in the camera or if no lens is attached to the camera, and an anti-shake warning which can be turned on to prevent the user from taking a picture if the shutter speed is too low for hand-held photography according to the focal length of the lens.
- Improved AF Algorithms
- Includes the ability to automatically switch between single-shot & tracking AF in AI Servo mode - at 2.8 frames per second
- Broad AF Area
- 7 Focusing points in the viewfinder (with red illumination)
- Orientation Detection Sensor
- The sensor automatically recognizes whether a shot is vertical or horizontal, and adjusts the active AF points accordingly. Overall metering accuracy is enhanced and there is less risk of underexposure.
- Multiple Metering Methods
- 35-Zone AE metering sensor provides precise exposure control, and centerweighted averaged metering & 9.5% partial metering are also included
- Sophisticated Flash Exposures
- E-TTL II Preflash metering, 3-Zone TTL off-the-film flash metering & High speed sync for automatic fill flash as well as FE (flash exposure) lock when used with the Canon EX-series Speedlites
- Fast Shutter Speed
- Shutter speed as fast as 1/4000 second
- Custom Functions
User-selectable custom functions that allow the photographer to tailor specific camera features according to personal preferences:
- Adjustable self-timer delay (10 sec./2 sec.)
- Adjustable AF point selection method (Press AF point selector and cross keys/Press cross keys only)
- Switch to center AF point with AF point selector button (Off/On)
- Emit built-in AF Assist beam (On/Off)
- Shutter-curtain sync with built-in flash and EX Speedlites (1st curtain/2nd curtain)
- Flash sync speed in Av mode (Auto/Fixed at 1/125 sec.)
- Rebel Improvements
- Equipped with built-in dioptric correction & stainless steel lensmount
- Focusing Point Indicator in viewfinder shows which of the seven points is used for focusing
- Safety Shutter-release Lock alerts if no film is loaded or no lens is mounted
- Camera Shake Warning
- Ergonomic design with Secure Grip, Cross-Key Selector and Large Backlit LCD