The 162SL is a two channel compressor/limiter that combines the best features of all the great dbx compressors, while providing still more versatile performance. In addition to having the auto attack and release and the hard knee threshold characteristics of the dbx 160, the 162SL offers AutoVelocity manual mode in addition to the classic OverEasy mode.
The heart of any dynamics processor is its VCA. The 162SL features dual proprietary dbx VCA modules, an implementation of dbx's original Blackmer decilinear VCA that boasts stellar dynamic range and ultra-low distortion. With sonic clarity designed for the studio, the unit maintains its superior performance in harsh environments, such as on the road.
The 162SL takes full advantage of the best parts available and dbx's advanced manufacturing, including Jensen transformers on each output standard. The front panel is machined from 1/4" aircraft aluminum and the unit sports handcrafted solid aluminum knobs, LEDs mounted individually in machined stainless steel housings, custom VU meters with peak indicators and a heavy gauge chassis.
- Ultra-low distortion dual channel compression with superb clarity even under extreme gain reduction
- Super fast manual attack and release
- Program-dependent "Auto," AutoVelocity Manual, or fully variable attack and release modes
- Hard-knee/OverEasy switchable
- Sidechain capabilities, switchable from the front panel
- High-Drive Jensen output transformers
- Gold-palladium-nickel board-to-board connectors
- Rare earth magnet relays with gold contacts in a hermetically sealed nitrogen environment
- Custom-machined, 1/4" thick front panel with hand-crafted, solid aluminum knobs
- Custom dbx VU meters with peak indicators